Senior Backend DeveloperApply
Help us scale our backends!
500px is growing fast! We’re already handling hundreds of millions of requests each day, across a diverse set of backend services, datastores, and APIs, and we need your help to get to the next level.
We are looking for smart, motivated, and passionate engineers to take charge of these backend systems and help us grow. Our front-end teams work hard to build new and innovative products for our users, but they can’t succeed without support from the backend.
We are looking for a senior developer who can help us maintain, improve, and rebuild the 500px website. You'll have the opportunity to play a pivotal role in 500px's success as part of a small and passionate engineering team.
You will plan, implement, deploy, and maintain our backend systems, working closely with other backend developers to build out new services and improve existing ones. You’ll play a pivotal role in designing and building the next generation of microservices for 500px.
On any given day, you might be
- turning product plans into code, involving close collaboration with product managers, designers, and front-end web and mobile developers;
- building highly scalable API services in Ruby and Go;
- helping to design and maintain the 500px systems infrastructure;
- involved in technical planning and architectural decision-making;
- becoming intimately familiar with our large Ruby on Rails and Go applications, and forming an opinion about how to debug and improve them;
- coordinating and collaborating with developers across the entire stack;
- providing leadership and mentorship to other team members.
You’ll have ownership over your work, and you’ll support other developers in building new features and products. You will be an advocate for performance, stability, and scalability across all of 500px, and encourage others to be as well. We are looking for a person who loves collaboration and is excited to take on new challenges.
The ideal candidate has
- expert-level knowledge of Ruby on Rails or Go;
- experience using, or familiarity with, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Memcached, and Elasticsearch;
- solid fundamental understanding of web technologies including HTTP, RESTful services, and cloud platforms such as AWS;
- complete comfort and familiarity with software development tools (git, Github, bug tracking), *nix environments;
- significant experience applying those skills and knowledge to build and maintain high-traffic, consumer-focused web services;
- good architectural sense and a passion for high quality code, honed by experience;
- a love of photography.
This role would ideally suit someone with previous experience in a similar role. If you’re unsure, please apply – we’d love to hear from you.