Senior Web DeveloperApply
At its core, 500px is a community of passionate photographers. We build a platform to enable and reward visual creativity. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website and mobile apps to find, share, and get rewarded for the world’s most inspiring photography.
We take pride in the products we ship and love what we do. Our engineering culture values mentorship, ownership, collaboration, and getting stuff done.
Our technology stack includes: Python, Ruby/Rails, Go, MongoDB, MySQL, Redis, and Elasticsearch. Check out our Engineering Blog for more.
The 500px website and associated APIs are core to our business and to our community. You’ll fix and improve our Rails apps and associated Go microservices. We’re looking for web developers who can help our team grow by adding energy, positivity and capability to our team.
What You'll Be Doing
- Design, implement and optimizing products and services used by millions of users.
- Turn product plans into code, involving close collaboration with product managers, designers, and front-end web and mobile developers.
- Build highly scalable API services in Ruby and Go.
- Help design and maintain the 500px systems infrastructure.
- Be involved in technical planning and architectural decision-making.
- Become intimately familiar with our Ruby on Rails & Go applications, and form an opinion about how to debug and improve them.
- Coordinate and collaborate with developers across multiple teams and tech stacks.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to other team members
What the Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Knowledge and experience working with Ruby on Rails or Go
- Familiarity with MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Memcached, and Elasticsearch
- An understanding of fundamental web technologies including HTTP, RESTful services, and cloud platforms such as AWS
- Comfort and familiarity with software development tools (git, Github, bug tracking) and *nix environments
- Interesting technical challenges.
- Competitive salaries.
- Flexible hours.
- Your choice of computer.
- Catered lunches and some of Toronto's best coffees and teas.
- Great health and dental benefits.
- Many professional development opportunities.
Our Interview Process
- Phone screen: <1hr conversation with a hiring manager/tech lead.
- Coding challenge: We'll ask you to write some code, and then share it with us to review.
- In-person interviews: 3-5 hours at our office where you'll meet multiple members of our team.
We believe diverse teams perform better, and we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.