Engineering Manager, Application InfrastructureApply
Engineering Managers at Airbnb:
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Managers to lead our engineering efforts.
The Application Infrastructure team is responsible for the architecture, development and scaling of core backend systems that power Airbnb. Our goals include scaling and architecting systems to support advanced product features that may not be currently viable because of hard technical considerations. We’re a small, but effective team with a track record of highly impactful work for Airbnb and our community. Our current roadmap includes:
- Scaling engineering organization by building out services that own the core data models: Availability, Pricing, Listing, Reviews, Reservation, User etc.
- Enhancing a sharded Search engine that supports real time up-to-date data from diverse sources (listing information, pricing, availability, ranking signals, etc.)
- Building out a universal search combiner that federates queries over listing, experiences and guidebooks search corpuses.
- Creating an Autocomplete service, configurable to any data set (location data, email address, amenities etc).
- Building a travel knowledge graph holding relationships between multiple data sets across the company, providing import/export and editorial access.
- Untangling product code and preparing it to move to services. Building common infrastructure for business logic layer and contributing best practices for building services.
- Providing the ability to add and test new features to ranking model in days versus weeks.
We value Engineering Managers who have:
- 5+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 2+ hands-on technical management experience
- Our backend technology is mostly Java based, so having prior background in writing high performance Java code is beneficial, but not required (a big part of the team comes from C++ background).
- Good understanding of distributed systems, data stores, data modeling, indexing and associated trade-offs.
- In-depth MySQL and Lucene expertise is a plus
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Been actively involved in setting product strategy
- Independently started self-sustaining teams
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...