Head of Data EngineeringApply
The Cadre team is growing. We’re building, from the ground up, a technology-driven trading platform for the coveted commercial real estate asset class, previously only accessible to the largest institutional investors.
Because we’re passionate about opening access to this historically exclusive marketplace to an ever broader group of participants, we’re relentlessly building an experience so intuitive and efficient individuals and institutions alike are empowered to invest. With technology as our core engine, we’re also engineering machine learning and data science strategies to accelerate discovery and vet better assets, faster.
Cadre has raised roughly $135 million to date, from outstanding venture investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Khosla Ventures, Thrive Capital, General Catalyst, Founders Fund, and Goldman Sachs, who have backed such companies as Spotify, Oscar, Jet, Stripe, Slack, ZocDoc, Github, Airbnb, and Snapchat.
Join our team, with individuals from Google, MongoDB, Square, Amplify, and Mint.com.
We’re looking for Cadre’s Head of Data Engineering, driven to solve complex problems in novel ways, to grow and lead a team of senior data engineers, to help define our technical strategy and roadmap, and to architect, build, and run our data engineering platform.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Collaborate with product owners to define and execute our data engineering roadmap
- Lead our team of data and software engineers, to scale Cadre’s data processing platform and handle a wide variety of structured and unstructured data sources:
- Lead the design, implementation, and operation of our ETL pipelining infrastructure
- Drive the execution of our data source evaluation strategy, allowing rapid on-going on-boarding of new, valuable data sources
- Use statistical analysis and machine learning to deliver leading-edge real estate valuation and market ranking models and insights, driving our investment strategy. Examples include:
- Market discovery and prioritization: segmenting and scoring markets based on expected growth and resilience relative to other markets
- Predictive modeling: Build asset scoring algorithms to prioritize when account team should engage with which customers
- Anticipate evolving technical needs and devise appropriate solutions
- Work with and mentor Cadre’s data engineering team in a collaborative, hands-on, lead-by-example fashion
- Embody an engineering culture emphasizing collaboration, innovation, quality, and impact
- Guide and coach the professional and technical development of the team members’ careers by assigning projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Provide continuous feedback, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of each member of your team.
- 6+ years of experience developing data-centric, large scale services
- 3+ years of increasing management experience
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, EE or other related field
- Deep technical foundation and insight at every stage of the software development lifecycle
- Proven ability to solve complex analytical problems using quantitative approaches with a blend of analytical and technical skills
- Proven track record of delivering complex, data-centric projects
- Experience with large scale distributed systems
- Strong data-oriented scripting (e.g. SQL) and statistical programming (e.g., R or python)
- Excellent coding skills in one or more system languages (Python, Java, C++, Go, etc.)
- Experience building scalable and high-availability back-end services and ML pipelines
- Experience working at scale with relational data stores (Postgres, Redshift, Redis, Vertica, Cassandra, etc.)
- Experience working with HDFS, Hadoop, Elastic MapReduce
- Experience working with S3, RedShift
- Passionate about building, leading and mentoring development teams
- Strong learning and growth mindset
- Highly detailed-oriented and exceptional organizational and execution skills a must
- Proven experience hiring, scaling and leading teams at a startup or high-growth company
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior leadership
- Experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work
NICE TO HAVES
Experience with large scale processing frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, Pig, HBase)
Experience with pandas, numpy, scipy, scikit-learn
OUR TECH STACK
Cadre runs a modern stack, continuously integrated and deployed (Jenkins, Ansible, Packer, CircleCI) on AWS: React + Redux, Immutable.js, Stylus, Node, Koa, Python, Django, with a combination of SQL (Postgres) and NoSQL (Redis) data stores.
The majority of our time is spent in that environment, but our goal is to always utilize the best tool for the job: you’ll be working with members of our team to keep refining our toolset.
- Our biggest asset? Our team members and culture: join a fun and driven environment to work with, learn from, and mentor some of the brightest engineers in the industry, equally intent on building a great business as on celebrating each victory.
- 401(K), significant equity, Competitive Healthcare coverage and unlimited PTO
- Amazing office space in the heart of SoHo with fully stocked kitchen (No water bottles though, we are green conscious!)
- Fun company offsites
Interested yet? To hear more, please send your resume over. Please feel free to provide any coding samples (Github, Stackoverflow, etc…) or blog posts, we’d love to take a look!