Director of Engineering - New Client TeamApply
At Stitch Fix, our goal is to help our customers look great and feel great about themselves by revolutionizing how people shop. In a time-starved world where shopping often feels overwhelming, our business connects customers to clothes they love. Whether it’s helping someone dress for success at a new job or taking the stress out of packing for a family vacation, we fix clients’ closets – and they love us for it!
We’ve built unique, innovative software for merchandising, warehouse and inventory management, remote styling, and logistics. We leverage vast amounts of client data to make decisions throughout the company. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our clients and a very successful business. We believe we are only scratching the surface of our opportunity, and we’re looking for incredible people to contribute!
Director of Engineering
About the Team
Stitch Fix is an online personal styling startup in San Francisco, combining art and science to disrupt and redefine the retail industry. Our technology team builds the applications that run our business and create an exceptional and personalized experience for our clients, from our customer-facing website and mobile app to unique and innovative tools that power our warehouse, merchandising, and styling teams. We leverage vast amounts of client data to make decisions throughout the company. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our customers and a successful, growing business. We strive to ensure that our overall service offering is the best that it can possibly be, and we pride ourselves on creating a fun and collaborative environment where we solve problems together. We believe we are only scratching the surface of our opportunity, and we’re looking for smart, kind, goal-oriented technology leaders who are relentlessly client-focused to join our team.
About the Role
Director of Engineering - New Client Team
You’ll lead the engineering team responsible for all aspects of the client experience through acquisition, conversion, and onboarding. Your teams will work on stitchfix.com and our iOS app to convert visitors to registered users and registered users to happy clients.
- Own your organization design and hiring plan that will best tackle our current and future opportunities
- Partner with marketing, product managers, UX, and data scientists to define strategic initiatives and product vision, drive your roadmap, and help millions of people dress better and feel better about themselves.
- Ensure that smart investments are being made to enable long-term effectiveness of our products, people, and processes
- Help the people on your team grow into better leaders and engineers.
- Enable your organization to scale by setting direction and goals then empowering your team to make decisions.
- Influence company-wide technology decisions as a member of our engineering leadership team.
You are an engineering leader with experience:
- Leading hiqh quality engineering teams of more than 10 people that have more than doubled in size.
- Finding and hiring great people.
- Building trust and influencing a diverse group of business partners and engineers.
- Leading teams that built consumer products and drove meaningful changes in customer behavior.
If you also have, great! (but it’s not a requirement:)
- Hands-On Ruby on Rails Experience
- Experience leading iOS or Android teams
- Experience leading growth engineering teams
We are excited about you because:
- You’re Kind: We approach our coworkers with humility, respect, and trust. You are someone who prefers to do the same.
- You Build Teams: You know great software is impossible without great people. You know how to hire and develop great people.
- You’re Pragmatic: You're not religious about any particular tools or methodology. You've worked with many, and you probably have strong opinions, but you adapt to what works best for each team.
- You’re Data Driven: You don’t like making decisions based on opinions. Instead, you focus decision making on what we know and what we can learn.
- You’re Inspiring: Your team understands why their work matters and is excited about it.
About the Technology
At Stitch Fix, our engineers use technology to solve business problems. In this role, the tech stack your team will use includes:
- Ruby on Rails
We also practice continuous deployment. Teams deploy multiple changes to production in a typical workday.
About the Company
Stitch Fix is an online personal styling startup in San Francisco, combining art and science to disrupt and redefine the retail industry. Our engineering team builds the tools to run the business, from customer-facing website and mobile app to unique and innovative tools that power our warehouse, merchandising, and styling teams. We leverage vast amounts of client data to make decisions throughout the company. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our customers and a successful, growing business. We believe we are only scratching the surface of our opportunity, and we’re looking for incredible people to contribute!
Why you'll love working here…
- We hire bright, kind, and goal oriented people. We love what we do at Stitch Fix but know that it is not the only thing in our lives. Our culture and benefits are designed to support our employees so that they can be their best selves both at work and away from work.
- We offer competitive salaries, equity and comprehensive health benefits
- We are a startup with a proven business model that’s growing fast
- We are a technologically and data-driven business
- We offer great time away programs
- We are blending tech and fashion, redefining shopping for the next generation
- We are passionate about our clients and live/breathe the client experience
- You’ll get to be creative on a daily basis
- We believe in autonomy & taking initiative
- You’ll report to a leadership team that wants to do it right and values innovation
- We have a fully stocked pantry with your choice of snacks and drinks
- You’ll work in light-filled, modern offices in downtown San Francisco, CA