Engineering Manager - InsightsApply
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
- You have experience leading a team as a Manager with people responsibilities for over three years. Experience managing at least 5 direct report engineers in a highly technical and complex operations environment.
- You have been a developer yourself with a minimum five years of hands-on experience developing and scaling full stack applications. Ideally, you have experience in a production Cloud / DevOps environment.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. You are someone who has solved complex problems and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- You are a master of Agile processes, continuous integration and test automation. Ideally you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- You are a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble and empathetic.
- Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code. Lead reviews of architecture design.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Collaborate on roadmap with General Managers, Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
Our internal Platform is one of the largest technology stacks at Twilio and is an enabler of all products, acquisitions, and experiments. By crafting a team to build great web experiences your work will be a force multiplier that is critical for Twilio’s continued success. Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. To accomplish this goal our internal tooling needs to be as cohesive and polished as our public facing products. By consolidating our tooling and streamlining our workflows we will contribute to Twilio’s rapid growth.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful and well designed office at Veerenni 24 in Tallinn. You will enjoy our incredible perks: monthly breakfast, twice a week lunch, dinner during our bi-weekly global All Hands and a fully-stocked kitchen with a variety of snacks and beverages. We have many team building events weekly, monthly and traditional Estonian summer days. You will get to experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact, strives to balance work and home life, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint, and continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook. Do you want to experience all of this with the best people? Join the Twilio Tallinn team!
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Berlin, Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Prague, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.