Engineering Manager - Voice EngineeringApply
Twilio's Cloud Communication Platform makes communications easy and powerful. With Programmable Voice, builders can create unique communication experiences to make, receive and control voice interactions around the globe. The Programmable Voice team develops and operates the worldwide infrastructure for Call Processing, Conference, Media, Recordings, and Transcriptions.
About the job:
As an Engineering Manager in Programmable Voice, you will lead one or more engineering teams from design through deployment and operation of real-time, highly available, low latency capabilities for next generation internet and on-demand app communications. The team is focused on developing voice interactions, media processing, and data services to enable new real-time experiences. Programmable Voice operates at scale, focusing on solving resiliency, latency and quality challenges in our virtualized cloud environment.
- Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers with support and guidance to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability. Guide the team through Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Grow employees through career development through coaching and mentoring for junior engineers, while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Define goals, perform evaluations, and collaborate with employees on their objectives to provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code through a continuous delivery model.
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services, with a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
- Experience leading a team as Manager with people responsibilities for at least five reports and for three years. You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- We are seeking leaders who have solved complex problems and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
- Master of agile processes, continuous integration and test automation. Ideally you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- Minimum 7 years hands-on experience developing complex systems based on Java, C++ or .NET technologies. You must have experience with backend services and distributed systems.
- Understanding of real-time and VoIP protocols is preferred.
- Experience managing engineers in a high technical and complex operations environment. Ideally, you have experience in a production Cloud / DevOps environment.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.