Head of Super Network EngineeringApply
Head of Super Network Engineering
San Francisco, CA, US
About Twilio and the Super Network: Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice, IoT and video capabilities directly into their software applications. At the core of these capabilities is our Super Network, the world’s most reliable and resilient communications network. For the last 10 years the team has been hard at work building an Intelligent and Resilient Global Infrastructure to reach anyone in the world over any channel through one provider, at any scale. Our globally available cloud API makes connectivity instantly available in over 100+ countries allowing businesses to focus on building unique communication experiences with their customers instead of dealing with the messiness of traditional telecommunication.
About the job:
In the cloud, your primary product is customer trust. That’s why Twilio is seeking a Head of Engineering, reporting to the VP and GM of Twilio’s Super Network. This leader will own the holistic view of the engineering teams within Super Network including Hardware, Software, and Operational Tooling teams geographically dispersed across the world including centers of excellence in San Francisco, CA and Tallinn, Estonia. This leader will mentor and manage functional teams and work closely with other leaders and teams across the company. The biggest brands in technology trust Twilio to power their communications, this role is about delivering on that promise.
- Be an advocate for the customer in all things Super Network.
- Work with our customers to resolve issues with the Super Network as necessary.
- Work closely with Super Network Product Management to delivery on committed roadmap.
- Directs and oversees the software engineering functions in developing, releasing, and maintaining software applications/operating systems according to business needs.
- Be a technical and inspirational leader for the following global teams:
- Fraud Services (SF based): Responsible for building out automated fraud protection systems that help Twilio protect the integrity of our network by reducing fraud and spam on an ongoing basis across existing and new products.
- Super Network Health Services (Estonia based): Responsible for the resiliency of Super Network’s carrier connections. The team will be tasked with providing metrics into the quality of our carrier connections and building out automation to detect and solve performance degradation in our carrier routes. Their key goal is to minimize customer facing impact/downtime due to traditional carrier network outages.
- Super Network Connectivity Services (Estonia based): Primary goal is to automate, measure, and catalog interconnections with carriers in support of segmentation (assessing features of carriers), expanding carrier coverage, and alternative business models.
- SMS Engineering (Estonia/Bogota based): SMS Engineering enables the Super Network to exceed customer expectations for message deliverability. This team is responsible for scaling our backend components in line with our growth, while enabling our services to meet the needs of Twilio globally by launching new capabilities for phone number types and use case segmentation.
- Carrier Tools (Estonia based): Responsible for building out systems to offer overview and insights into our route cost structure and tools to manage the cost effectively.
- Wireless and IOT solution design and build out: Consult on design and architecture of our fledgeling global wireless and IOT solution including designing for scale and supportability.
- Must have experience building and leading an effective team at scale across several time zones.
- Must have strong analytical, consultative and problem solving skills and be a strong communicator (oral, written, presentation).
- Must have a customer first mentality.
- Minimum 10+ years managing large geographically diverse engineering teams.
- Must align with Twilio’s values and leadership principles.
- BA or BS required, MS preferred and/or related work experience.
Twilio is the developer platform for communications. With Twilio, developers and businesses make communications contextual by embedding voice, video, messaging and authentication directly into their software. We are re-inventing the communications market, taking it from its 150-year legacy in hardware to its future in software. Twilio has more than 1.5M registered developers. Industry disruptors including Uber, Box and DocuSign and enterprises like ING Bank, Nordstrom, Coca-Cola, Walmart and Home Depot trust Twilio to power and innovate their communications at global scale.
Twilio is recognized as one of the 10 Fastest Growing Companies in San Francisco, one of The Bay Area’s 10 Most InDemand Startups, and has over 400 employees with offices in San Francisco, Mountain View, New York City, Bogota, Tallinn, Dublin, London and Hong Kong.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.