Network Operations Center EngineerApply
Twilio is building out our Super Network Operations Center, or S-NOC. This team is part of Twilio’s Super Network business unit, the cross-functional team responsible for the software, hardware, commercial relationships, and operations necessary to run our global network of carrier partners. The S-NOC team is responsible for monitoring the performance of our carrier partner network and troubleshooting carrier-related issues across both voice and SMS. The S-NOC works tirelessly to ensure that our carrier partner network is providing the high quality and high performance that Twilio’s customers expect.
The right candidate has expertise in either voice or SMS , and be eager and willing to learn the other technology. You know how to work effectively with carriers to address issues and achieve results for our customers. You should be calm under pressure as you respond to alerts and quickly troubleshoot network outages.
More specifically, we seek someone with the following background:
- Voice (e.g., SIP, RTP, RTCP, and related telephony protocols/standards) or SMS (e.g., SMPP, SS7, and A2P SMS Routing) expertise and knowledge, though ideally you are skilled in both voice and SMS
- 3+ years previous experience working in a network operations center and/or in an analytical/routing role for a telecommunication provider
- Advanced knowledge of SQL
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience working with industry-standard monitoring tools
Further, you should be someone who is:
- Empathetic and customer centric to the core
- A clear communicator
- Thorough, organized, and process-oriented to the extreme
- Committed to continuous improvement
- A quick study, capable of learning quickly and mastering every aspect of complicated systems
- Data- and metrics-driven
- Capable of working independently
Although not prerequisites for the role, the following are “nice-to-haves”:
- Strong computer science and/or data management background
- Basic understanding of and comfort with software development, including programming experience
- Fluency in additional spoken languages
As an engineer on the S-NOC team, you will be responsible for ensuring the performance of Twilio’s carrier partner network. More specifically, you will:
- Respond to quality, capacity, and cost alerts indicating network performance issues and then troubleshoot the issue, making changes on our end to fix the issue and/or working with our carrier partners to resolve
- Work closely with our customer support team to resolve carrier-related voice and messaging trouble tickets submitted by our customers
- Make routing changes, as necessary, to resolve issues
- Conduct regular operational meetings with your counterparts at our carrier partners to resolve ongoing issues and proactively prevent future problems
- Make process improvements and create documentation to ensure the peak performance of the S-NOC
- Identify requirements for the tools necessary to automate and streamline our operational processes
Twilio’s mission is to fuel the future of communications, and the mission of the S-NOC team is to ensure that our carrier partner network is delivering on our promise of seamless voice and SMS communications around the world. As of member of this team, you will be critical to the success of our mission as Twilio expands its Super Network, SMS, and voice product offerings. Our customers need to be able to trust that Twilio’s Super Network is up and running 24 x 7 x 365.
This position will be located in our beautiful office in Bogotá, Colombia. You should expect the normal perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, etc. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, we know this is a marathon not a sprint; that builds an inclusive culture where we want all of our people to be comfortable and thrive. We seek out people who live by our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.