Principal or Senior Software Engineer- Media RecordingsApply
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who is excited about solving some of the hardest problems at Twilio: enabling our customers to grow and expand globally by giving developers simple APIs to access the world’s communication channels.
You like to think at scale and design, develop, and operate production microservices that meet goals of low latency, high availability, resiliency, and quality in a cloud environment. You bring experience with complex distributed systems, working in a Java production system, and are comfortable with Python. Even better, you have expertise in complex data modeling, have experience of data pipelines (eg. Kafka, Kinesis, Spark), and you are comfortable with managing large database clusters (e.g. MySQL, Postgres), and next generation distributed data stores.
A great day for you would be working alongside a small and collaborative team, white-boarding ideas, building APIs used by all Twilio customers, as well as constantly improving services that power Twilio’s top products and also generate significant revenue. We are working on enabling millions of developers to use Twilio across the world and help companies expand their business globally. At the same time, you will be helping more junior developers by mentoring them, providing guidance, and positively influencing their careers.
As a Principal or Senior Software Engineer in Media Recordings team, you will design, develop, deploy and operate Media Recordings services to deliver real-time, highly available, low latency capabilities for next-generation internet and on-demand app communications. You will ensure continuous operation at scale to meet high availability goals, focusing on solving resiliency, latency and quality challenges in our virtualized cloud environment.
Our mission is to provide a world-class recordings services, enabling our customers to record, store, and process all types of Twilio voice & video calls securely and reliably. Media Recordings team is one of the fastest growing engineering teams at Twilio and we are a team of highly skilled, talented, and ambitious engineers across two offices in Mountain View, CA, and Madrid, Spain. We are responsible for developing and delivering high-quality Voice Recordings and Video Recordings products and we've just recently embarked to build a brand new Media Recordings processing system for the next generation media processing and recordings services.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 399 W El Camino Real, Mountain View, CA. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, education/health credits, Thursday Night dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
- Collaborate with Peers, Product Managers, Architects, and Engineering leaders to define, architect and build new customer-facing features.
- Operate Media Recordings (Voice Recordings, Video Recordings, & Media Recordings) services based on Twilio standard procedures and guidelines, towards 24x7 availability, with high performance, scalable and zero downtime releases in AWS environment.
- Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Drive quality by writing unit, functional, load, performance and resiliency tests.
- Release, monitor, and maintain features in a responsible, reliable way as part of our integrated DevOps practices.
- Leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title, including leading architecture, design and code reviews as well as mentoring other engineers.
- Minimum 5+ years experience building complex distributed systems across concerns of reliability, high-availability, performance, scalability, capacity planning, business continuity, and automation.
- Experience developing, deploying and scaling production systems in Java
- Experience with modern scripting languages, preferably Python.
- Experience managing large database clusters (e.g. MySQL, Postgres), and next generation distributed data stores is a plus
- Experience with a scalable data pipeline, preferably with Kafka, Kinesis, Spark is a plus.
- Can lead a small team through agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation.
- Direct experience with cloud services based on Amazon Web Services or similar.
- Ideally, you have experience in a highly-available, uptime-critical production environment.
- If you are not experienced in communications, no worries, you can learn. We are seeking engineers who have solved complex problems at scale and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- Experience in large-scale distributed systems
- Bachelor's degree in a computer science related field is a minimum requirement.
- Understanding real-time communications technologies