Principal Software Engineer - Big Data Micro-TransactionsApply
About the job:
Twilio's customers send millions of communications every day. These communications become a firehose of micro-transactions, processed at a fraction of a penny at a time. As a pay-as-you-go service, it's critical to external and internal customers that we bill transactions in a timely and accurate manner. As a shared platform within Twilio, we have a responsibility to ensure that our systems can quickly and easily scale to support new products and use-cases.
We're seeking engineers with experience in real-time data processing, microtransactions, financial data, and a passion for API design & REST. We build our services in Scala and Python, and use Spark to process our large-volume data. Redis also plays a key role as a tool to coordinate processing in a distributed environment.
As a member of the Billing Platform team, you'll have an opportunity to take on some of the most challenging problems in distributed computing, HTTP, data persistence, and more. We're looking for someone who writes quality, maintainable code in Scala and Python with thorough test coverage in a continuous delivery environment. But more than just writing code, we need someone with the ability to break down requirements, estimate tasks and plan work accurately to ensure delivery to production.
As a Principal Engineer on the Billing Platform team, you'll lead development of services and tools to create scalable, reliable, resilient, accurate and secure capabilities of the micro-transaction system that processes customer usage data. You'll work directly with product management to define, architect, build and test new internal and external facing services. As an owner-operator of our services, you'll also develop evaluation, monitoring, and deployment plans to minimize operational risk and ensure that systems run smoothly from day one. As a Principal Engineer, you'll collaborate with other teams and mentor engineers on development best practices.
- A Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years in industry as a developer working with mission critical systems.
- Strong background in HTTP, distributed systems, and event-based data processing.
- Prior experience as Tech Lead or Principal Engineer.
- Hands on. Passionate. Persistent. Creative.
- You have experience evaluating new technologies based on measured performance to solve real-world problems.
- You have opinions about rounding below the penny.
- You know what a sub-ledger is.
- You’ve worked on Big Data systems. You know the right ways and the wrong ways to partition data.
- You've used Spark and Kafka.
- You have extended the existing Redis command set with Lua scripting.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.