(Senior) Interconnections Engineer - Super NetworkApply
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a talented (Senior) Interconnections Engineer to help expand our carrier connectivity globally. This role focuses on onboarding new interconnections and working closely with internal engineering teams and Twilio’s carrier partners to understand their technical requirements while determining the best way to fit them into Twilio’s Super Network.
Successful candidates will have strong telecom experience working with SIP, SMPP, and other telephony protocols. They will know how to interface with carrier teams and properly troubleshoot all ranges of issues. Telecom regulations and functionality differs from country to country and a good candidate would have the ability to identify requirements that don’t fit with Twilio’s current architecture and work with internal teams to improve systems or processes. The ability to work independently to arrive at solutions without a guide is essential to success.
- SIP or SMPP knowledge and troubleshooting experience
- Packet analysis experience with common tools such as Wireshark
- Command line skills
- Being a self starter that can take on obscure requirements and figure out how best to make them work
- Excellent verbal and written English, more languages is a plus
- Passion for good documentation
- Eagerness to take on new things
- Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of three years of relevant experience
- You understanding common networking subjects such as IPSec VPNs, subnets, IPv4, NAT and PAT
- You write SQL queries
- You automate tasks where possible in Python/PHP/Java or similar language
As Interconnections Engineer, you will:
- Work with Twilio’s carrier partners to understand their connectivity requirements
- Diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve service issues related to VoIP and SMS telephony platforms and applications
- Maintain accurate and easy to follow internal documentation of new and existing interconnections
- Understand key quality metrics of voice and SMS communication and implement testing to ensure our carriers are consistently performing at their peak
- Take part in larger migrations and projects for capacity and planning
- Work with Engineering & Customer Service teams to collaborate on solutions and approach for persistence issues
- Develop and maintain operational processes
- Be part of a small but global team
- Need to travel 1-2 times a year to different Twilio offices
Twilio’s global carrier network is constantly growing, and Interconnections team is responsible for onboarding carrier partners in a fast and reliable way. We make sure Twilio always has the best reach and high-end quality when it comes to termination routes and international phone numbers.
We are the team known for our in-depth telecom experience and perfect documentation, we are planning and building Twilio’s carrier-facing infrastructure. Join us if you are open to new challenges, love solving problems and want to work in a small group of professionals from all over the world..
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful and well designed office in Tallinn, Estonia or Malmö, Sweden. You will enjoy our incredible perks: monthly breakfast, twice a week lunch, dinner during our bi-weekly global All Hands and a fully-stocked kitchen with a variety of snacks and beverages. We have many team building events weekly, monthly and of course annual summer days. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook. Do you want to experience all of this with the best people? Join Twilio Tallinn team!
Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 2,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Berlin, Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Malmö, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore, Prague and Tallinn.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.