Software Engineer - Wireless/IOTApply
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Wireless is the IoT business unit at Twilio. The Twilio platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud API’s and with on-demand global reach. Twilio abstracts away a world of complexity so that our customers can go global without concern for managing a global communications network, carrier integrations and relationships throughout the world.
As a Software Engineer in the Wireless organization, will be responsible for the delivery of software from concept to production deployments and monitoring. You will work on the implementation efforts alongside a team of seasoned and junior engineers. Once deployed, you will be responsible for helping customer support assist and troubleshoot problems as they pop up in the field. To take it to scale, you will be managing a complex distributed platform with points of presence globally and will be concerned with availability, throughput, latency as well as real-time considerations. There will be some data components so you will be working with distributed SQL and NoSQL databases and caches. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally.
Twilio is looking for a leader with a demonstrated track record of shipping services to production. Skills we are looking for include:
- 2+ years of developing software on the JVM, either Java or Scala.
- Experience working on distributed systems and service-oriented architecture, ideally in a Cloud environment.
- Experience with either SQL and NoSQL data stores, ideally both.
- Knowledge of the entire Software Development Lifecycle.
- Hands-on experience running services in production is a strong plus.
- The ability to communicate well- in person, on paper, or in code. You can explain technical concepts to product managers, other engineers, and support.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a related field.
As a Software Engineer, you will:
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Architects and Engineering leaders to define, architect and build new customer-facing features.
- Build new features.
- Architect new systems and design APIs with a focus on scalability, testability, and maintainability.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services in a distributed production environment. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Drive quality by writing unit, functional, load and performance tests.
- Design services that are reliable, scalable, manageable and supportable. Develop diagnostic and troubleshooting tools made available via our developer portal and to our customer support organization.
- Lead architecture, design and code reviews as well as mentor junior engineers.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. We do that by focusing relentlessly on building the most robust, programmable, customer-centric communications platform on the planet. The Twilio platform reaches more than two million developers globally.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Berlin. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Berlin, Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore, and Tallinn.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.