Sr. Engineering Manager - Report CenterApply
Twilio's Data Platform captures, stores, and processes global event data reliably at scale, and makes this data available to Twilio and the market for a large set of products and services. As Senior Engineering Manager, you will manage engineers to deliver the world-class Data Platform Twilio needs in order to succeed. You will face some of the most complex challenges in distributed data systems at scale.
About the job:
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to join our Data Platform team to help build the next generation of Data APIs, platform and products, enabling engineers and business to capture, store and processes global event data, reliably at scale. As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for design through deployment and operation of scalable, reliable and fault tolerant data systems.
Our customers are requesting a wide variety of revenue generating and platform enabling requirements from real-time and long-term analytics to data compliance with HIPAA and GDPR in EU regulations to AI and Machine Learning applications. Our Data Platform collects billions of valuable events into fast petabyte scale data stores and provides fast access to this Big Data. It enables Customer applications, Business Intelligence, Machine Learning, Analytics, Billing, Messaging and Voice products, plus more.
At Twilio, developers are our customer. You will work with engineers, product managers, customer support and others to launch new products and support existing ones. The success of our data platform is in your hands.
Successful candidates will have shown the ability to ship quality product in a fast-paced environment. We expect you to understand customer requirements and be able to work and communicate with other Engineering teams across the organization.
- Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers with support and guidance to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability. Guide the team through Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Grow employees through career development through coaching and mentoring for junior engineers, while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Define goals, perform evaluations, and collaborate with employees on their objectives to provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code through a continuous delivery model.
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services, with a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
- Experience leading a team as Manager with people responsibilities for at least five reports and for three years. You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- We are seeking leaders who have solved complex problems and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
- Master of agile processes, continuous integration and test automation. Ideally you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- Minimum 7 years hands-on experience developing complex systems based on Java or Scala. You must have experience with backend services and distributed systems.
- Understanding of real-time and batch data processing systems.
- Experience managing engineers in a high technical and complex operations environment. Ideally, you have experience in a production Cloud / DevOps environment.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.