Software Engineer (Backend/APIs)Apply
Vend is an award winning, venture-backed tech company and our mission is simple: to create remarkable retail life. We help our retailers build thriving businesses, live more fulfilling lives and create experiences that people love. And as we do, we encourage the diversity that makes communities unique.
We have over 200 talented people across Auckland, Toronto, London, Melbourne and San Francisco working to delight 20,000 awesome retailers worldwide who are running successful retail operations in their communities and online.
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our team includes women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the university-educated, and people of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.
We’re looking for a someone to join our team as a back-end software engineer, building services and APIs that underpin our world-class retail platform. This role requires someone to work 40 hours over a week, but for the right candidate we're happy to explore flexible working hours - many of us have families and know that balancing kids with work is important.
We’re not an ordinary company, so we don’t expect you to be either. If you love learning new stuff, enjoy digging into hard work and making the impossible happen - keep on reading!
Why does this job exist?
We've got lots of work to do! Reporting to a Lead Engineer, you'll work in one of our teams to maintain and extend our platform, mainly by building back-end code that serves API endpoints for our front-end coders to consume. We don't have "rules" about what back-end vs front-end coders can touch, but we know that people tend to prefer working in one area of the stack.
We build new features on top of a modern stack, consisting of Go or Java services, communicating either over APIs or Kafka topics, to AngularJS front end applications, all deployed in a continuous delivery cycle to AWS. We're looking for experienced software developers, but you don’t need to have experience in any of these specific technologies: we’re great at teaching good coders how to use our modern SaaS stack.
We don't follow rigid Scrum or Kanban, but we do work in an agile, iterative way - we deploy changes continuously to production, and use retrospectives to continuously improve and implement what works for us.
So what will I be doing in a typical week?
- Write lots of code - usually in Go, but possibly also deleting some PHP if you're removing functionality from our monolith and implementing it in a new microservice.
Check in with your Lead Engineer for a 1:1 over coffee or a walk around the block.
Work with one of our Product Managers and Designers on scoping for a new feature, helping your team break down the work into deliverable chunks.
Whiteboard some details about the intricacies of a new API endpoint your team needs to implement.
- Have your lunch in the kitchen with some of the team, talk about anything from knitting, to tv, lock-picking, or your kids' sports results.
Pair up with someone else on your team to help them through a tricky problem.
- Find one of the dogs in the office to talk to about a tricky database schema you're concerned about. Sometimes just listening is all that's needed (of course if you need human advice, there's plenty of that too!)
Does this sound like you?
- You're a coder who has any experienced in building APIs in Go and running them on Docker OR:
- You're a senior coder who has lots of transferable experience and a proven ability to learn new stuff.
- You’re intensely interested in the latest in cloud platforms, and you have some idea of what AWS is. Bonus points if you actually use these tools today, but if you don’t we’re happy to teach you.
- You’ve got a few projects under your belt, and you’ve made some mistakes. We value people who learn from mistakes and improve themselves in tiny ways every day. But of course you don’t make the same mistakes over and over again because you know how to use automated tests and production monitoring to catch them next time around.
Obviously we’re looking to ensure it’s a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to everyday. At Vend, we trust you to do your best work with minimal direction, so we try our best to build an environment of mutual trust and empowerment.
Get in touch, hit that button and come have a no-obligations chat with us.
We can’t wait to hear from you!