Amazon SNS vs Urban Airship: What are the differences?
Developers describe Amazon SNS as "Fully managed push messaging service". Amazon Simple Notification Service makes it simple and cost-effective to push to mobile devices such as iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire, and internet connected smart devices, as well as pushing to other distributed services. Besides pushing cloud notifications directly to mobile devices, SNS can also deliver notifications by SMS text message or email, to Simple Queue Service (SQS) queues, or to any HTTP endpoint. On the other hand, Urban Airship is detailed as "Improve customer engagement with push notifications, location-based marketing and analytics". We’ve built the smartest, most aware, precise, easy-to-use, scalable, secure and powerful push messaging platform on the planet. Our Push messaging platform leverages all that is unique about mobile as a channel, and that lights the spark to create meaningful and valuable mobile experiences. We help put your app in front of your users at the right time, and in the right place to drive usage and brand engagement.
Amazon SNS and Urban Airship belong to "Mobile Push Messaging" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Amazon SNS are:
- In most cases, developers can get started with Amazon SNS by using just three APIs: CreateTopic, Subscribe, and Publish. Additional APIs are available, which provide more advanced functionality.
- With SNS you can publish a message once, and deliver it one or more times. So you can choose to direct unique messages to individual Apple, Google or Amazon devices, or broadcast deliveries to many mobile devices with a single publish request.
- SNS allows you to group multiple recipients using topics. A topic is an “access point” for allowing recipients to dynamically subscribe for identical copies of the same notification. One topic can support deliveries to multiple endpoint types -- for example, you can group together iOS, Android and SMS recipients. When you publish once to a topic, SNS delivers appropriately formatted copies of your message to each subscriber.
On the other hand, Urban Airship provides the following key features:
- Industry’s best Push Messaging (with up to 1M messages per month, free).
- Ready to go, proven and can be working in your app within hours.
- Flexible APIs to drop in as-is or to completely customize.
Intuit, PedidosYa, and Clever are some of the popular companies that use Amazon SNS, whereas Urban Airship is used by Airbnb, Netflix, and Accenture. Amazon SNS has a broader approval, being mentioned in 230 company stacks & 78 developers stacks; compared to Urban Airship, which is listed in 14 company stacks and 3 developer stacks.
What is Amazon SNS?
What is Urban Airship?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
What are the cons of using Amazon SNS?
What are the cons of using Urban Airship?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Our primary transport mechanism for events. One SNS topic carries a specific event type and n-number of subscribers (usually a Lambda) may subscribe to that event.
Amazon SNS is used for push notification to push notifications of the occurrence of different events during operations of our computing resources on AWS cloud.
We use SNS for platform-agnostic mobile push message handling, essentially to avoid dealing with APNS ourselves.
I mainly use it for the infrastructure notifications and alarms of zerotoherojs.com ’s learning dashboards.