AWS CloudFormation vs Yeoman: What are the differences?
AWS CloudFormation: Create and manage a collection of related AWS resources. You can use AWS CloudFormation’s sample templates or create your own templates to describe the AWS resources, and any associated dependencies or runtime parameters, required to run your application. You don’t need to figure out the order in which AWS services need to be provisioned or the subtleties of how to make those dependencies work; Yeoman: A set of tools for automating development workflow. Yeoman is a robust and opinionated set of tools, libraries, and a workflow that can help developers quickly build beautiful, compelling web apps. It is comprised of yo - a scaffolding tool using our generator system, grunt - a task runner for your build process and bower for dependency management.
AWS CloudFormation and Yeoman are primarily classified as "Infrastructure Build" and "Front End Scaffolding" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by AWS CloudFormation are:
- AWS CloudFormation comes with the following ready-to-run sample templates: WordPress (blog),Tracks (project tracking), Gollum (wiki used by GitHub), Drupal (content management), Joomla (content management), Insoshi (social apps), Redmine (project mgmt)
- No Need to Reinvent the Wheel – A template can be used repeatedly to create identical copies of the same stack (or to use as a foundation to start a new stack)
- Transparent and Open – Templates are simple JSON formatted text files that can be placed under your normal source control mechanisms, stored in private or public locations such as Amazon S3 and exchanged via email.
On the other hand, Yeoman provides the following key features:
- Lightning-fast scaffolding — Easily scaffold new projects with customizable templates (e.g HTML5 Boilerplate, Bootstrap), RequireJS and more.
- Great build process — Not only do you get minification and concatenation
- I also optimize all your image files, HTML, compile your CoffeeScript and Compass files, if you're using AMD, I will pass those modules through r.js so you don't have to.
"Automates infrastructure deployments" is the top reason why over 36 developers like AWS CloudFormation, while over 119 developers mention "Lightning-fast scaffolding" as the leading cause for choosing Yeoman.
Yeoman is an open source tool with 9.23K GitHub stars and 759 GitHub forks. Here's a link to Yeoman's open source repository on GitHub.
Accenture, Avocode, and Webedia are some of the popular companies that use Yeoman, whereas AWS CloudFormation is used by Expedia.com, Accenture, and Redox Engine. Yeoman has a broader approval, being mentioned in 205 company stacks & 200 developers stacks; compared to AWS CloudFormation, which is listed in 197 company stacks and 77 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is AWS CloudFormation?
What is Yeoman?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions