Bitnami vs Rancher: What are the differences?
What is Bitnami? The App Store for Server Software. Our library provides trusted virtual machines for every major development stack and open source server application, ready to run in your infrastructure.
What is Rancher? Open Source Platform for Running a Private Container Service. Rancher is an open source container management platform that includes full distributions of Kubernetes, Apache Mesos and Docker Swarm, and makes it simple to operate container clusters on any cloud or infrastructure platform.
Bitnami can be classified as a tool in the "Server Software" category, while Rancher is grouped under "Container Tools".
Some of the features offered by Bitnami are:
- BitNami Cloud Hosting lets you instantly run every BitNami package you already know and love and have it automatically configured, backed up and monitored.
- Launch applications to the cloud with one click.
- Choose from 50 popular open source applications, including SugarCRM, Alfresco, Drupal, WordPress, Redmine, JasperServer, Joomla! and many more.
On the other hand, Rancher provides the following key features:
- Manage Hosts, Deploy Containers, Monitor Resources
- User Management & Collaboration
- Native Docker APIs & Tools
"Cloud Management" is the primary reason why developers consider Bitnami over the competitors, whereas "Easy to use" was stated as the key factor in picking Rancher.
Rancher is an open source tool with 11.9K GitHub stars and 1.34K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Rancher's open source repository on GitHub.
According to the StackShare community, Rancher has a broader approval, being mentioned in 89 company stacks & 36 developers stacks; compared to Bitnami, which is listed in 9 company stacks and 14 developer stacks.
What is Bitnami?
What is Rancher?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Bitnami?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
- Consume too much unnecessary resource by just running rancher agent alone;
- Hard to recover from system failure
- Bad performance of load balancing (compare to dokcer swarm built-in LB or others).
Main tool for all our Wordpress, MODX, Silverstripe, EnamoCMS, Plone, Process Wire, Ghost, Joomla and Drupal website developments. Quick setups for Ruby dev environments, and collaboration tools for our team.
The whole infrastructure is managed through Rancher. It provides a simple interface to all the underlying tools - Docker, HAProxy (automatically configures load balancer from the containers).
Currently looking to move to Swarm or Kubernetes due to a few issues I have with Rancher.
We use Rancher for container orchestration and automated deployment pipelines.