IBM - API Connect vs RAML: What are the differences?
Developers describe IBM - API Connect as "A comprehensive API management solution for your entire API lifecycle from creation to management". A comprehensive API management solution for your entire API lifecycle from creation to management. On the other hand, RAML is detailed as "RESTful API Modeling Language (RAML) makes it easy to manage the whole API lifecycle from design to sharing". RESTful API Modeling Language (RAML) makes it easy to manage the whole API lifecycle from design to sharing. It's concise - you only write what you need to define - and reusable. It is machine readable API design that is actually human friendly.
IBM - API Connect and RAML can be categorized as "API" tools.
Some of the features offered by IBM - API Connect are:
- Create scalable and secure APIs for application servers, databases, enterprise service buses (ESB) and mainframes
- Manage—create and manage portals that allow developers to quickly discover and consume APIs and securely access enterprise data, and monitor APIs to improve performance.
- Secure—Administrators can manage security and governance over APIs and the microservices. IT can set and enforce API policies to secure back-end information assets and comply with governance and regulatory mandates.
On the other hand, RAML provides the following key features:
- Create and pull in namespaced, reusable libraries, containing data types
- Annotations let you add vendor specific functionality without compromising your spec
- Traits and resource Types let you take advantage of code reuse and design patterns
"Innovated Approach, Super customer support" is the top reason why over 2 developers like IBM - API Connect, while over 9 developers mention "API Specification" as the leading cause for choosing RAML.