Tower vs ungit: What are the differences?
What is Tower? The most powerful Git client for Mac & Windows. Use all of Git's powerful feature set - in a GUI that makes you more productive.
What is ungit? The easiest way to use git. On any platform. Anywhere. Clean and intuitive UI that makes it easy to understand git.
Tower belongs to "Source Code Management Desktop Apps" category of the tech stack, while ungit can be primarily classified under "Git Tools".
Some of the features offered by Tower are:
- Clone & create repos with a click - Manage your GitHub, Bitbucket & Beanstalk accounts from within Tower
- Open repos quickly - Tower's "Quick Open" dialog finds and opens repositories in no time
- Automate the boring stuff - Fetching and stashing are automatically done for you, if you wish
On the other hand, ungit provides the following key features:
- Runs on any platform that node.js & git supports.
- Web-based, meaning you can run it on your cloud/pure shell machine and use the ui from your browser (just browse to http://your-cloud-machine.com:8448).
- Works well with GitHub.
ungit is an open source tool with 8.39K GitHub stars and 543 GitHub forks. Here's a link to ungit's open source repository on GitHub.