- I use a Cloud9 micro plan and connect SSH workspaces to Google Compute Engine instances.
- For me, Cloud 9 has good documentation, and it's relatively quick to install on my Debian instances using the Cloud 9 install script.
- I prefer a cloud-based IDE since I don't want to spend resources on my local or remote machines running or maintaining an IDE.
- As of Dec 2015, Cloud9 doesn't support debugging in Python. However, this hasn't been a problem for me since I use
pdbfor debugging and
pytestfor testing. I use the IDE mostly for code navigation, autocomplete, and managing packages with many files.
- Related blog post with example usage: Running an IPython Notebook on Google Compute Engine from Chrome Cloud9 IDE
1 upvote·18.3K views