What is Disqus?
Who uses Disqus?
Why developers like Disqus?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by members of with Disqus in their tech stack.
A blog without a database generally needs an offsite commenting system. Disqus is mine. Disqus
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Disqus in their tech stack.
I've heard that I have the ability to write well, at times. When it flows, it flows. I decided to start blogging in 2013 on Blogger. I started a company and joined BizPark with the Microsoft Azure allotment. I created a WordPress blog and did a migration at some point. A lot happened in the time after that migration but I stopped coding and changed cities during tumultuous times that taught me many lessons concerning mental health and productivity. I eventually graduated from BizSpark and outgrew the credit allotment. That killed the WordPress blog.
I blogged about writing again on the existing Blogger blog but it didn't feel right. I looked at a few options where I wouldn't have to worry about hosting cost indefinitely and Jekyll stood out with GitHub Pages. The Importer was fairly straightforward for the existing blog posts.
Todo * Set up redirects for all posts on blogger. The URI format is different so a complete redirect wouldn't work. Although, there may be something in Jekyll that could manage the redirects. I did notice the old URLs were stored in the front matter. I'm working on a command-line Ruby gem for the current plan. * I did find some of the lost WordPress posts on archive.org that I downloaded with the waybackmachinedownloader. I think I might write an importer for that. * I still have a few Disqus comment threads to map
Disqus is our comment service of choice for our blog Disqus
Disqus is a nice well-known and easy to use commenting engine, plays well with most any web-facing integration. Disqus
Disqus is a wonderful (and free) API/software platform to integrate for comments when you don't want to limit yourself to Facebook and have no interest in reinventing something done so well.
It is a solid, A-1 piece of software. Disqus
- Clean & Intuitive- We designed the platform to be clutter-free, which keeps people's eyes focused on the discussion itself.
- Fully real-time Live discussions- Discussions unfold in real-time. Comments stream as they are posted and user activity indicates life on your website.
- Activity indicators- Indicators make it easier for people to notice, see, and interact with new content and activity as it happens.
- Typing presence- Disqus even shows when others are in the middle of writing and editing their comment but haven’t posted just yet.
- More dynamic content- The real-time system is designed for active communities, live events, and video content.
- Quality discussions- A smart voting system surfaces the best content on the page.
- Loyal communities- People can see your community’s unique set of top participants and other popular discussions happening across your website.
- Mobile- Disqus automatically supports rich, feature-parity on phones and tablets via a fully responsive, end-to-end HTML5 design.
- Recommended Conversations- Let users easily find other interesting conversations happening on your website.
- Social Sharing- Allow users to easily share any comment or discussion thread to their favorite social network.
- Social Reactions- Discussions around your content happens all over the web. Disqus finds these conversations from Twitter and pulls them into the discussion on your website.
- Social Tagging- With @mentions, easily include others on Disqus and Twitter in your discussion. Mentioned people are notified and encouraged to join your community.
- Moderation Dashboard- Our moderation panel in the Disqus admin is built for sites that have lots of commenting activity
- User Reputation- Users can participate anonymously, using a pseudonym, or with a given name.
- User History- Learn how long your users have been around and how active they are.
- Keyboard Shortcuts- Quickly select a group of items, take action, and change tabs without touching your mouse.
- In-Line & Email Moderation- Moderate your site directly on the comment thread while logged in as a moderator or moderate your comment notifications by email with three simple commands.
- Spam Controls & Word Filtering- Our smart-spam system works network wide and responds to new flare-ups automatically as moderators indicate new issues.
- Blacklisting & Whitelisting- With control lists, specify users, emails, IP addresses, and words.
- Import and export anytime- You can import all your existing comments or export
- Flexible, Powerful Partner API- Our API is full featured and allows your developers to integrate Disqus into your mobile app, widget, forum or visualization.
- Analytics- Visualize data with topical trend analysis, user segmentation and ad sales packaging.
- Single Sign-On- Integrate your existing login system and allow your community to comment via your proprietary sign-in, in addition to the social options Disqus makes available.
- SEO Optimized- Disqus is fully indexable for search engines out- of-the-box. We have been approved by the Google Search Quality team to be organically crawled unlike any other comment platform.