What is Gitolite?
Gitolite allows you to setup git hosting on a central server, with fine-grained access control and many more powerful features. Gitolite is an access control layer on top of git.
Gitolite is a tool in the Code Collaboration & Version Control category of a tech stack.
Gitolite is an open source tool with 7.7K GitHub stars and 978 GitHub forks. Here’s a link to Gitolite's open source repository on GitHub
Who uses Gitolite?
32 developers on StackShare have stated that they use Gitolite.
Why developers like Gitolite?
Here’s a list of reasons why companies and developers use Gitolite
- Use a single unix user ("real" user) on the server.
- Provide access to many gitolite users: they are not "real" users, so they do not get shell access.
- Control access to many git repositories: read access controlled at the repo level, and write access controlled at the branch/tag/file/directory level, including who can rewind, create, and delete branches/tags.
- Can be installed without root access, assuming git and perl are already installed.
- Authentication is most commonly done using sshd, but you can also use "smart http" mode if you prefer (this may require root access to setup).
Gitolite Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to Gitolite?
See all alternatives
GitLab offers git repository management, code reviews, issue tracking, activity feeds and wikis. Enterprises install GitLab on-premise and connect it with LDAP and Active Directory servers for secure authentication and authorization. A single GitLab server can handle more than 25,000 users but it is also possible to create a high availability setup with multiple active servers.
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over three million people use GitHub to build amazing things together.
Bitbucket gives teams one place to plan projects, collaborate on code, test and deploy, all with free private Git repositories. Teams choose Bitbucket because it has a superior Jira integration, built-in CI/CD, & is free for up to 5 users.
Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency.
Gitea is a community managed lightweight code hosting solution written in Go. It published under the MIT license.