What is Neo4j?
Who uses Neo4j?
Why developers like Neo4j?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Neo4j in their tech stack.
I use Neo4j because the data structure was a graph, based on the underlying research papert, so the project had to follow this concept. However, the research project doesn't take the full potential of Neo4j or an other graph database, because it doesn't apply any graph related algorithms. So the whole architecture could have been also modelled in a simple relational way (PostgreSQL/MySQL/etc.). However, Neo4j with its very easy to learn query language
Cypher was in the end a very good choice, because other researchers were able to set up a new testing scenario also on the database level with much flexibility.
Node.js MySQL Neo4j ES6 PHP #chrome_extension ExpressJS sometimes ( read toy projects ) React and Vue
I use Neo4j because i find it to be a superior way to store and query highly relational data. The new spatial functionality has made it even more useful.
Also, the APOC library adds a large number of extremely powerful features to the database. I know many people are purists about logic in databases but things like guid/uuid generation, geocoding, and distance algorithms are all extremely useful in the data storage context.
- intuitive, using a graph model for data representation
- reliable, with full ACID transactions
- durable and fast, using a custom disk-based, native storage engine
- massively scalable, up to several billion nodes/relationships/properties
- highly-available, when distributed across multiple machines
- expressive, with a powerful, human readable graph query language
- fast, with a powerful traversal framework for high-speed graph queries
- embeddable, with a few small jars
- simple, accessible by a convenient REST interface or an object-oriented Java API