What is ngrok?
Who uses ngrok?
Why developers like ngrok?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose ngrok in their tech stack.
Docker Compose might have been a bit of overkill for a dev environment as a solo founder, but I'd found so much with past side projects (though this is no longer a side project) that I would frequently waste time every time I came back to work on the project getting my dev env sorted again.
Made the conscious choice to make a "prod-ish" docker-compose config up front to make sure that didn't bite me again.
Structured it so I have the following containers running
- server - the Rails app in API style
- client - the Create React App
- ngrok - ngrok to receive webhooks in dev
- db - PostgreSQL
- queues - delayed_job worker
- Expose any http service behind a NAT or firewall to the internet on a subdomain of ngrok.com
- Expose any tcp service behind a NAT or firewall to the internet on a random port of ngrok.com
- Inspect all http requests/responses that are transmitted over the tunnel
- Replay any request that was transmitted over the tunnel