Amazon WorkSpaces vs VMware Horizon Suite: What are the differences?
What is Amazon WorkSpaces? Easily provision cloud-based desktops that allow end-users to access applications and resources. With a few clicks in the AWS Management Console, customers can provision a high-quality desktop experience for any number of users at a cost that is highly competitive with traditional desktops and half the cost of most virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) solutions. End-users can access the documents, applications and resources they need with the device of their choice, including laptops, iPad, Kindle Fire, or Android tablets.
What is VMware Horizon Suite? Connect end users to their data and applications on any device without sacrificing IT security and control. Stimulate workforce productivity by delivering a consistent, intuitive, and collaborative computing experience across all devices—anytime, anywhere. Manage, secure and back up end-user assets and applications from one place. Protect against compliance risk with policy-driven access. Streamline and simplify operations by turning disparate operating systems, applications, and data into centralized services delivered on any device.
Amazon WorkSpaces and VMware Horizon Suite can be primarily classified as "Virtual Desktop" tools.
Some of the features offered by Amazon WorkSpaces are:
- Support Multiple Devices- Users can access their Amazon WorkSpaces using their choice of device, such as a laptop computer (Mac OS or Windows), iPad, Kindle Fire, or Android tablet.
- Keep Your Data Secure and Available- Amazon WorkSpaces provides each user with access to persistent storage in the AWS cloud. When users access their desktops using Amazon WorkSpaces, you control whether your corporate data is stored on multiple client devices, helping you keep your data secure.
- Choose the Hardware and Software you need- Amazon WorkSpaces offers a choice of bundles providing different amounts of CPU, memory, and storage so you can match your Amazon WorkSpaces to your requirements. Amazon WorkSpaces offers preinstalled applications (including Microsoft Office) or you can bring your own licensed software.
On the other hand, VMware Horizon Suite provides the following key features:
- Provide a single aggregated workspace for end users – Employees gain a secure workspace with private, direct access to their desktop, applications and data, on any device.
- Eliminate incentives for rogue technologies – Replace outdated technologies with easy file sharing and robust mobile access to applications—dissolving user motivations to introduce non-secure outlier technologies.
- Deliver agile and elastic infrastructure – Applications, data and desktops are untethered from hardware silos to provide a responsive and scalable environment.