Amplitude vs Segment: What are the differences?
Developers describe Amplitude as "User analytics to fuel explosive user growth". Amplitude provides scalable mobile analytics that helps companies leverage data to create explosive user growth. Anyone in the company can use Amplitude to pinpoint the most valuable behavioral patterns within hours. On the other hand, Segment is detailed as "A single hub to collect, translate and send your data with the flip of a switch". Segment is a single hub for customer data. Collect your data in one place, then send it to more than 100 third-party tools, internal systems, or Amazon Redshift with the flip of a switch.
Amplitude and Segment are primarily classified as "Mobile Analytics" and "Analytics Integrator" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by Amplitude are:
- Real-time user analytics, including funnels, retention, flexible user segmentation, and revenue analysis.
- Microscope: Explore the user behavior behind any data point. Compare the behavior of engaged vs. churned users.
- Growth Discovery Engine: Identify behaviors that are predictive of retention or conversion and drive explosive user growth.
On the other hand, Segment provides the following key features:
- A single API to integrate third-party tools
- Data replay that backfills new tools with historical data
- SQL support to automatically transform and load behavioral data into Amazon Redshift
"Great for product managers" is the primary reason why developers consider Amplitude over the competitors, whereas "Easy to scale and maintain 3rd party services" was stated as the key factor in picking Segment.
StackShare, thoughtbot, and Sellsuki are some of the popular companies that use Segment, whereas Amplitude is used by StackShare, OrderAhead, and Intuit. Segment has a broader approval, being mentioned in 827 company stacks & 77 developers stacks; compared to Amplitude, which is listed in 109 company stacks and 18 developer stacks.