AppFog vs Domino: What are the differences?
AppFog: Simple PaaS for Java, Python, Node, .Net, Ruby, PHP, MySQL, Mongo, and PostgreSQL. AppFog provides the infrastructure web developers need to build apps without worrying about IT tasks or having to wait days to get servers ready for writing code. AppFog’s web application technologies include PHP, NodeJS, Ruby, Python, Java, .NET, MySQL, and PostgreSQL; Domino: A PaaS for data science - easily run R, Python or Matlab code in the cloud with automatic version control for data, code, and results. Use our cloud-hosted infrastructure to securely run your code on powerful hardware with a single command — without any changes to your code. If you have your own infrastructure, our Enterprise offering provides powerful, easy-to-use cluster management functionality behind your firewall.
AppFog and Domino can be categorized as "Platform as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by AppFog are:
- Launches fast, runs fast- Varnish Cache and op-code caching run applications with less server load and accelerated performance.
- Reduces ops work- No more configuring servers, firewalls, Apache, security, or installing frameworks.
- Plays well with any SCM- Versioning is critical. AppFog is compatible with code management systems like git, svn, and mercurial.
On the other hand, Domino provides the following key features:
- Domino Cloud supports the most powerful data analysis languages — Python, R, MATLAB, and Julia
- Modern and powerful cluster management
- Use a single-core machine during development