AWS IAM vs AWS Service Catalog: What are the differences?
AWS IAM: Securely control access to AWS services and resources for your users. AWS Identity and Access Management; AWS Service Catalog: Create and manage catalogs of IT services that are approved for use on AWS. AWS Service Catalog allows IT administrators to create, manage, and distribute catalogs of approved products to end users, who can then access the products they need in a personalized portal. Administrators can control which users have access to each application or AWS resource to enforce compliance with organizational business policies. AWS Service Catalog allows your organization to benefit from increased agility and reduced costs because end users can find and launch only the products they need from a catalog that you control.
AWS IAM and AWS Service Catalog belong to "Cloud Access Management" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by AWS IAM are:
- Manage IAM users and their access - You can create users in IAM, assign them individual security credentials (i.e., access keys, passwords, and Multi-Factor Authentication devices) or request temporary security credentials to provide users access to AWS services and resources.
- Manage IAM roles and their permissions - You can create roles in IAM, and manage permissions to control which operations can be performed by the entity, or AWS service, that assumes the role. You can also define which entity is allowed to assume the role.
- Manage federated users and their permissions - You can enable identity federation to allow existing identities (e.g. users) from your corporate directory or from a 3rd party such as Login with Amazon, Facebook, and Google to access the AWS Management Console, to call AWS APIs, and to access resources, without the need to create an IAM user for each identity.
On the other hand, AWS Service Catalog provides the following key features:
- Ensure Compliance with Corporate Standards
- Help Employees Quickly Find and Deploy Approved IT Services
- Centrally Manage IT Service Lifecycle
What is AWS IAM?
What is AWS Service Catalog?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose AWS Service Catalog?
What are the cons of using AWS IAM?
What are the cons of using AWS Service Catalog?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Easy privilege segregation. Instance roles let you easily set privileges for a particular Stack (Rails/DB/backup worker)