Catalyze vs OpenShift: What are the differences?
What is Catalyze? HIPAA-compliant cloud computing for healthcare. Cloud tools for healthcare. We provide a HIPAA-compliant Platform as a Service (PaaS), HIPAA-compliant Mobile Backend (BaaS), and HL7 integration services. Focus on building your digital health app, and not on compliance. Think of us as your healthcare-specific DevOps team.
What is OpenShift? Red Hat's free Platform as a Service (PaaS) for hosting Java, PHP, Ruby, Python, Node.js, and Perl apps. OpenShift is Red Hat's Cloud Computing Platform as a Service (PaaS) offering. OpenShift is an application platform in the cloud where application developers and teams can build, test, deploy, and run their applications.
Catalyze and OpenShift belong to "Platform as a Service" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Catalyze are:
- Platform includes everything for infrastructure-specific HIPAA compliance: dedicated logging, monitoring, encryption in transit and at rest, backups, disaster recovery, vulnerability scanning, intrusion detection, to name a few
- Mobile Backend includes a compliant datastore, user management capabilities, custom classes, and more
- Audited 3 times, 2 HIPAA and 1 HITRUST
On the other hand, OpenShift provides the following key features:
- Built-in support for Node.js, Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl, and Java (the standard in today's Enterprise)
- OpenShift is extensible with a customizable cartridge functionality that allows developers to add any other language they wish. We've seen everything from Clojure to Cobol running on OpenShift.
- OpenShift supports frameworks ranging from Spring, to Rails, to Play
OpenShift is an open source tool with 915 GitHub stars and 563 GitHub forks. Here's a link to OpenShift's open source repository on GitHub.
What is Catalyze?
What is OpenShift?
Want advice about which of these to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
What are the cons of using Catalyze?
What tools integrate with Catalyze?
I needed a PaaS provider that didn't drop all the time and it's hard to find a good option for PHP applications. Openshift takes care of it. They are a little behind on PHP versions, but that can be solved with a custom cartridge. It requires a little more elbow grease to get rolling when you want to implement something they don't already have, but their quickstarts are great to get rolling with the basics quickly.
SG-TravelBuddy server application is hosted on Red Hat OpenShift Online (v3). SG-TravelBuddy mobile (Android) app is connecting to this server for data operations.