Cilium vs Sqreen: What are the differences?
Developers describe Cilium as "API-aware networking and security for containers". Open source software for providing and transparently securing network connectivity and loadbalancing between application workloads such as application containers or processes. On the other hand, Sqreen is detailed as "Automated security for developers". Sqreen is a security platform that helps engineering team protect their web applications, API and micro-services in real-time. The solution installs with a simple application library and doesn't require engineering resources to operate. Security anomalies triggered are reported with technical context to help engineers fix the code. Ops team can assess the impact of attacks and monitor suspicious user accounts involved.
Cilium and Sqreen can be primarily classified as "Security" tools.
Some of the features offered by Cilium are:
- Identity Based Security - Cilium visibility and security policies are based on the container orchestrator identity (e.g., Kubernetes labels). Never again worry about network subnets or container IP addresses when writing security policies, auditing, or troubleshooting.
- Blazing Performance - BPF is the underlying Linux superpower to do the heavy lifting on the datapath by providing sandboxed programmability of the Linux kernel with incredible performance.
- API-Protocol Visibility + Security - Traditional firewalls only see and filter packets based on network headers like IP address and ports. Cilium can do this as well, but also understands and filters the individual HTTP, gRPC, and Kafka requests that stitch microservices together.
On the other hand, Sqreen provides the following key features:
- Protection against vulnerabilities
- Monitoring of security anomalies
- Monitoring of suspicious users
What is Cilium?
What is Sqreen?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Cilium?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Cilium?
What are the cons of using Sqreen?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
I chose Sqreen because it provides an out-of-the-box Security as a Service solution to protect my customer data. I get full visibility over my application security in real-time and I reduce my risk against the most common threats. My customers are happy and I don't need to spend any engineering resources or time on this. We're only alerted when our attention is required and the data that is provided helps engineering teams easily remediate vulnerabilities. The platform grows with us and will allow us to have all the right tools in place when our first security engineer joins the company. Advanced security protections against business logic threats can then be implemented.
Installation was super easy on my Node.js and Ruby apps. But Sqreen also supports Python , Java , PHP and soon Go .
It integrates well with the tools I'm using every day Slack , PagerDuty and more.