Deis vs OpenShift: What are the differences?
Deis: Open Source PaaS that builds upon Docker and CoreOS to provide a lightweight PaaS with a Heroku-inspired workflow. Deis can deploy any application or service that can run inside a Docker container. In order to be scaled horizontally, applications must follow Heroku's 12-factor methodology and store state in external backing services; OpenShift: Red Hat's free Platform as a Service (PaaS) for hosting Java, PHP, Ruby, Python, Node.js, and Perl apps. OpenShift is Red Hat's Cloud Computing Platform as a Service (PaaS) offering. OpenShift is an application platform in the cloud where application developers and teams can build, test, deploy, and run their applications.
Deis and OpenShift can be categorized as "Platform as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by Deis are:
- Deis can deploy any language or framework using a Dockerfile
- If you don't have a Dockerfile, Deis includes Heroku buildpacks for Ruby, Python, Node.js, Java, Clojure, Scala, Play, PHP, Perl, Dart and Go.
- Deis can be deployed on any system that supports CoreOS including your workstation, as well as most public clouds, private clouds and bare metal.
On the other hand, OpenShift provides the following key features:
- Built-in support for Node.js, Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl, and Java (the standard in today's Enterprise)
- OpenShift is extensible with a customizable cartridge functionality that allows developers to add any other language they wish. We've seen everything from Clojure to Cobol running on OpenShift.
- OpenShift supports frameworks ranging from Spring, to Rails, to Play
"12-factor methodology" is the primary reason why developers consider Deis over the competitors, whereas "Good free plan" was stated as the key factor in picking OpenShift.
Deis and OpenShift are both open source tools. Deis with 6.12K GitHub stars and 863 forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than OpenShift with 915 GitHub stars and 563 GitHub forks.
What is Deis?
What is OpenShift?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Deis?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
I needed a PaaS provider that didn't drop all the time and it's hard to find a good option for PHP applications. Openshift takes care of it. They are a little behind on PHP versions, but that can be solved with a custom cartridge. It requires a little more elbow grease to get rolling when you want to implement something they don't already have, but their quickstarts are great to get rolling with the basics quickly.
SG-TravelBuddy server application is hosted on Red Hat OpenShift Online (v3). SG-TravelBuddy mobile (Android) app is connecting to this server for data operations.