EdgeCast vs MaxCDN: What are the differences?
EdgeCast: The world's fastest and most reliable content delivery network. EdgeCast is a content delivery network (CDN) that helps companies accelerate and deliver static and dynamic content to end users around the world. Major customers include Yahoo!, Tumblr, Pinterest, Wordpress, and Imgur. The company has about 4,500 customers (as of June 2012) and carries about 5% of the world’s internet traffic; MaxCDN: Our CDN makes your site load faster!. The MaxCDN Content Delivery Network efficiently delivers your site’s static file through hundreds of servers instead of slogging through a single host. This "smart route" technology distributes your content to your visitors via the city closest to them.
EdgeCast and MaxCDN belong to "Content Delivery Network" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by EdgeCast are:
- Caching- From whole sites to mobile, our acceleration and delivery services will bring you to the world's digital doorstep.
- Application Delivery- Accelerate delivery of your web applications and non-static content.
- Streaming- Flash, Silverlight, or HTTP – live or on-demand, we'll deliver it better than anyone.
On the other hand, MaxCDN provides the following key features:
- We Make You Fast- With our fast-growing network of multiple PoP locations in all parts of the globe, we mirror your content and deliver it to the neared location to your visitors. It isn't just our network that is fast, but with our state-of-art hardware, fast RAM and SSD storage, content is served at lightning fast speeds.
- We Have Your Back- To ensure that you do not have any downtime, we have deployed redundant networks and intelligent routing that ensures selecting an alternative route if a network pathway is down.
- We Help You Rank- Using MaxCDN will help you improve your website speed, and since this is now a ranking factor used by Google and other search engines for deciding search results, deploying MaxCDN will help you rank better, giving you more traffic.
What is EdgeCast?
What is MaxCDN?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose EdgeCast?
What are the cons of using EdgeCast?
What are the cons of using MaxCDN?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with EdgeCast?
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
When my SSL cert MaxCDN was expiring on my personal site I decided it was a good time to revamp some things. Since GitHub Services is depreciated I can no longer have #CDN cache purges automated among other things. So I decided on the following: GitHub Pages, Netlify, Let's Encrypt and Jekyll. Staying the same was Bootstrap, jQuery, Grunt & #GoogleFonts.
What's awesome about GitHub Pages is that it has a #CDN (Fastly) built-in and anytime you push to master, it purges the cache instantaneously without you have to do anything special. Netlify is magic, I highly recommend it to anyone using #StaticSiteGenerators.
For the most part, everything went smoothly. The only things I had issues with were the following:
- If you want to point
wwwto GitHub Pages you need to rename the repo to
- If you edit something in the
_config.ymlyou need to restart
bundle exec jekyll sor changes won't show
- I had to disable the Grunt
htmlminmodule. I replaced it with Jekyll layout that compresses HTML for #webperf
Last but certainly not least, I made a donation to Let's Encrypt. If you use their service consider doing it too: https://letsencrypt.org/donate/
I have been using edge cast for approximately 5 years. Their support is nothing short of fantastic.
Their pricing is beyond fair and when you consider them some of the competitors if you are big enough you can negotiate if you are a smaller company Google resellers you will find deals everywhere.
They are the fastest CDN available I have used all the big names and it has all come down to EdgeCast they can do everything I want including allowing me to fix coding issues on clients websites automatically with their ADN application delivery network. By applying Google page speed through the ADN which is a CDN that has Google page speed, accelerates both dynamic and static content along with incredible analytics uptime management and their new DNS with geo-IP makes them a fantastic company to work with.
To everyone that EdgeCast thank you so much for all your help.
Their website only shows the prices for some aspects of the service, mainly just the bandwidth. But where they really get you is by charging high fees for everything else. Their basic rate only includes North America and Europe. You have to pay extra for other locations. Then hosting a subdomain costs $100 extra/month (no idea why, other CDNs do it for free), additional zones cost extra (normally free with other CDNs), no caching rules unless you pay extra, hidden fees for push data storage, etc etc.
We added MaxCDN in hopes we could offer a faster loading website to our blog readers.