Hexo vs Pelican: What are the differences?
Hexo: A fast, simple & powerful blog framework, powered by Node.js. Hexo is a fast, simple and powerful blog framework. It parses your posts with Markdown or other render engine and generates static files with the beautiful theme. All of these just take seconds; Pelican: A static site generator, written in Python, that requires no database or server-side logic. Pelican is a static site generator that supports Markdown and reST syntax. Write your weblog entries directly with your editor of choice (vim!) in reStructuredText or Markdown.
Hexo and Pelican can be categorized as "Static Site Generators" tools.
Some of the features offered by Hexo are:
- Blazing Fast - Node.js brings you incredible generating speed. Hundreds of files take only seconds to build.
- Markdown Support - All features of GitHub Flavored Markdown are supported. You can even use most Octopress plugins in Hexo.
- One-Command Deployment - You only need one command to deploy your site to GitHub Pages, Heroku or other sites.
On the other hand, Pelican provides the following key features:
- Blog articles and pages
- Comments, via an external service (Disqus). (Please note that while useful, Disqus is an external service, and thus the comment data will be somewhat outside of your control and potentially subject to data loss.)
- Theming support (themes are created using Jinja2 templates)
"Ease of deployment" is the top reason why over 15 developers like Hexo, while over 6 developers mention "Open source" as the leading cause for choosing Pelican.
Hexo and Pelican are both open source tools. Hexo with 27.1K GitHub stars and 3.6K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Pelican with 8.89K GitHub stars and 1.58K GitHub forks.
What is Hexo?
What is Pelican?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Hexo?
What are the cons of using Pelican?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Content for blog posts and pages is written in markdown format, using Emacs. Hexo generates the site using my own customised theme. The site is then deployed to Github pages
To build my site blog. I also created a tag plugin for Hexo that enables you to embed Deezer objects in your page.