HockeyApp vs TestFlight: What are the differences?
Developers describe HockeyApp as "Manage your betas and collect live crash reports for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and OS X apps". HockeyApp is the best way to collect live crash reports, get feedback from your users, distribute your betas, and analyze your test coverage. On the other hand, TestFlight is detailed as "iOS beta testing on the fly". With TestFlight, developers simply upload a build, and the testers can install it directly from their device, over the air.
HockeyApp and TestFlight belong to "Beta Testing / Mobile App Distribution" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by HockeyApp are:
- Crash Reports- HockeyApp offers the most reliable and complete crash reporting for beta and App Store versions using open source frameworks. Providing full server-side symbolication with class names, methods, line numbers, and automatic grouping of similar crash reports.
- Feedback- HockeyApp allows you to communicate with your customers. Users can create a support request, post an idea, or discuss a problem right from within the app.
- Distribution- Upload your beta versions to HockeyApp and distribute them to your beta testers. Integrate our open-source SDK and your app will automatically be able to detect updates and offer the updates right within the app.Analytics- By integrating our SDK into your app, you'll get advanced metrics to get a better overview of the testing for your app. See which devices were tested, which testers used the app for how long, and which language was tested.
On the other hand, TestFlight provides the following key features:
- Sessions- Discover how testers are using your application. Watch as they progress and take unexpected turns.
- Crash Reports- Reported in realtime, with environment snapshots and full session activity.
- In-App Questions- The most effective way to get tester feedback. Get the answers you need by asking questions the moment a checkpoint is passed.
"Crash analytics" is the top reason why over 14 developers like HockeyApp, while over 61 developers mention "Must have for ios development" as the leading cause for choosing TestFlight.
Spotify, Lyft, and Square are some of the popular companies that use TestFlight, whereas HockeyApp is used by Harvest, Pubu, and OrderUp. TestFlight has a broader approval, being mentioned in 313 company stacks & 65 developers stacks; compared to HockeyApp, which is listed in 50 company stacks and 11 developer stacks.
What is HockeyApp?
What is TestFlight?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using HockeyApp?
What are the cons of using TestFlight?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Used to be our go-to deployment platform but immediately after Apple bought and integrated it they dropped a handful of features, including the ability to deploy Enterprise IPA's. Not sure what the situation is now, but we since migrated to TestFairy and have had no problems.
been a few years since i've used test flight. we used it at my startup over 5 years ago when they were first starting out. help alleviate many of the issues related with app distribution back then.
When it comes to beta testing on iOS, there's really no other solid option. TestFlight is reliable, easy to use and has a set of great API's (albeit somewhat hidden).
We previously used TestFlight to deploy test apps, but since Apple purchased them we've been using HockeyApp so that we can test both iOS as well as Android.
We employ HockeyApp to test new builds for our mobile applications. It makes it very easy to send out early builds for stakeholders to test.
We use Testflight for Alha & Beta testing of mostly corporate apps we create for our customers