Insomnia REST Client vs RAML: What are the differences?
What is Insomnia REST Client? The most intuitive cross-platform REST API Client 😴. Insomnia is a powerful REST API Client with cookie management, environment variables, code generation, and authentication for Mac, Window, and Linux.
What is RAML? RESTful API Modeling Language (RAML) makes it easy to manage the whole API lifecycle from design to sharing. RESTful API Modeling Language (RAML) makes it easy to manage the whole API lifecycle from design to sharing. It's concise - you only write what you need to define - and reusable. It is machine readable API design that is actually human friendly.
Insomnia REST Client and RAML can be categorized as "API" tools.
Some of the features offered by Insomnia REST Client are:
- Mac, Windows and Linux
- Data import/export
- SSL client certificates
On the other hand, RAML provides the following key features:
- Create and pull in namespaced, reusable libraries, containing data types
- Annotations let you add vendor specific functionality without compromising your spec
- Traits and resource Types let you take advantage of code reuse and design patterns
"Easy to work with" is the primary reason why developers consider Insomnia REST Client over the competitors, whereas "API Specification" was stated as the key factor in picking RAML.
Insomnia REST Client is an open source tool with 10.2K GitHub stars and 590 GitHub forks. Here's a link to Insomnia REST Client's open source repository on GitHub.
According to the StackShare community, Insomnia REST Client has a broader approval, being mentioned in 35 company stacks & 30 developers stacks; compared to RAML, which is listed in 9 company stacks and 6 developer stacks.
What is Insomnia REST Client?
What is RAML?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Insomnia REST Client?
What are the cons of using RAML?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with Insomnia REST Client?
We've tried a couple REST clients over the years, and Insomnia REST Client has won us over the most. Here's what we like about it compared to other contenders in this category:
- Uncluttered UI. Things are only in your face when you need them, and the app is visually organized in an intuitive manner.
- Native Mac app. We wanted the look and feel to be on par with other apps in our OS rather than a web app / Electron app (cough Postman).
- Easy team sync. Other apps have this too, but Insomnia's model best sets the "set and forget" mentality. Syncs are near instant and I'm always assured that I'm working on the latest version of API endpoints. Apps like Paw use a git-based approach to revision history, but I think this actually over-complicates the sync feature. For ensuring I'm always working on the latest version of something, I'd rather have the sync model be closer to Dropbox's than git's, and Insomnia is closer to Dropbox in that regard.
Some features like automatic public-facing documentation aren't supported, but we currently don't have any public APIs, so this didn't matter to us.