Metamon vs Packer: What are the differences?
Metamon: A Vagrant/Ansible toolkit for kickstarting Django apps. Metamon is a Vagrantfile combined with a set of Ansible Playbooks which can be used to quickly start a new Django project. Although Metamon is easily extensible by adding new Ansible roles, it is a better fit for people who use Django + Gunicorn + Nginx + PostgreSQL; Packer: Create identical machine images for multiple platforms from a single source configuration. Packer automates the creation of any type of machine image. It embraces modern configuration management by encouraging you to use automated scripts to install and configure the software within your Packer-made images.
Metamon and Packer belong to "Infrastructure Build Tools" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Metamon are:
- Create an Ubuntu 14.04 machine.
- Set-up basic Operating system dependencies.
- Set-up a Virtualenv and automatically install dependencies.
On the other hand, Packer provides the following key features:
- Super fast infrastructure deployment. Packer images allow you to launch completely provisioned and configured machines in seconds, rather than several minutes or hours.
- Multi-provider portability. Because Packer creates identical images for multiple platforms, you can run production in AWS, staging/QA in a private cloud like OpenStack, and development in desktop virtualization solutions such as VMware or VirtualBox.
- Improved stability. Packer installs and configures all the software for a machine at the time the image is built. If there are bugs in these scripts, they'll be caught early, rather than several minutes after a machine is launched.
Metamon and Packer are both open source tools. It seems that Packer with 9.09K GitHub stars and 2.48K forks on GitHub has more adoption than Metamon with 348 GitHub stars and 15 GitHub forks.
What is Metamon?
What is Packer?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Metamon?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Metamon?
What are the cons of using Packer?
What companies use Metamon?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
LaunchDarkly is almost a five year old company, and our methodology for deploying was state of the art... for 2014. We recently undertook a project to modernize the way we #deploy our software, moving from Ansible-based deploy scripts that executed on our local machines, to using Spinnaker (along with Terraform and Packer) as the basis of our deployment system. We've been using Armory's enterprise Spinnaker offering to make this project a reality.
Our base infrastructure is composed of Debian based servers running in Amazon EC2 , asset storage with Amazon S3 , and Amazon RDS for Aurora and Redis under Amazon ElastiCache for data storage.
We are starting to work in automated provisioning and management with Terraform , Packer , and Ansible .