Metamon vs Terraform: What are the differences?
Metamon: A Vagrant/Ansible toolkit for kickstarting Django apps. Metamon is a Vagrantfile combined with a set of Ansible Playbooks which can be used to quickly start a new Django project. Although Metamon is easily extensible by adding new Ansible roles, it is a better fit for people who use Django + Gunicorn + Nginx + PostgreSQL; Terraform: Describe your complete infrastructure as code and build resources across providers. With Terraform, you describe your complete infrastructure as code, even as it spans multiple service providers. Your servers may come from AWS, your DNS may come from CloudFlare, and your database may come from Heroku. Terraform will build all these resources across all these providers in parallel.
Metamon and Terraform can be categorized as "Infrastructure Build" tools.
Some of the features offered by Metamon are:
- Create an Ubuntu 14.04 machine.
- Set-up basic Operating system dependencies.
- Set-up a Virtualenv and automatically install dependencies.
On the other hand, Terraform provides the following key features:
- Infrastructure as Code: Infrastructure is described using a high-level configuration syntax. This allows a blueprint of your datacenter to be versioned and treated as you would any other code. Additionally, infrastructure can be shared and re-used.
- Execution Plans: Terraform has a "planning" step where it generates an execution plan. The execution plan shows what Terraform will do when you call apply. This lets you avoid any surprises when Terraform manipulates infrastructure.
- Resource Graph: Terraform builds a graph of all your resources, and parallelizes the creation and modification of any non-dependent resources. Because of this, Terraform builds infrastructure as efficiently as possible, and operators get insight into dependencies in their infrastructure.
Metamon and Terraform are both open source tools. Terraform with 17.7K GitHub stars and 4.83K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Metamon with 348 GitHub stars and 15 GitHub forks.
What is Metamon?
What is Terraform?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Metamon?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Metamon?
What are the cons of using Terraform?
What companies use Metamon?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Terraform makes it so easy to deploy AWS and Google Cloud services, with the declarative approach avoiding so many headaches of manual work and possible mistakes.
- Infrastructure as Code.
- Central tool to deploy all infratructure: AWS, CloudFlare, StatusCake
The entire AWS environments is described and setup using Terraform.