Notepad++ vs PlatformIO: What are the differences?
What is Notepad++? Free source code editor and Notepad replacement. Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
What is PlatformIO? Next-generation IDE for IoT. PlatformIO is an open source ecosystem for IoT development. Cross-platform build system and library manager. Continuous and IDE integration. Arduino and MBED compatible. Ready for Cloud compiling.
Notepad++ belongs to "Text Editor" category of the tech stack, while PlatformIO can be primarily classified under "Integrated Development Environment".
Some of the features offered by Notepad++ are:
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting and Folding: screenshot 1, screenshot 2, screenshot 3 and screenshot 4
- PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expression) Search/Replace
On the other hand, PlatformIO provides the following key features:
- C/C++ Intelligent Code Completion
- Smart Code Linter for the super-fast coding
- Multi-projects workflow with Multiple Panes.
"Syntax for all languages that i use" is the primary reason why developers consider Notepad++ over the competitors, whereas "It is the best" was stated as the key factor in picking PlatformIO.
PlatformIO is an open source tool with 3.18K GitHub stars and 416 GitHub forks. Here's a link to PlatformIO's open source repository on GitHub.