PonyDebugger vs Reveal App: What are the differences?
What is PonyDebugger? Remote network and data debugging for your native iOS app using Chrome Developer Tools. PonyDebugger is a remote debugging toolset. It is a client library and gateway server combination that uses Chrome Developer Tools on your browser to debug your application's network traffic and managed object contexts To use PonyDebugger, you must implement the client in your application and connect it to the gateway server. There is currently an iOS client and the gateway server..
What is Reveal App? See your iOS application's view hierarchy at runtime with advanced 2D and 3D visualisations. Reveal brings the power of tools like Firebug and Web Inspector to iOS developers. See your application's view hierarchy at runtime with advanced 2D and 3D visualisations. Debug view layout and rendering problems in seconds.
PonyDebugger and Reveal App can be categorized as "Mobile Runtime Inspector" tools.
Some of the features offered by PonyDebugger are:
- Network Traffic Debugging
- Core Data Browser
- View Hierarchy Debugging
On the other hand, Reveal App provides the following key features:
- Instrument your apps - Simply link your iOS application with the Reveal library, start it up, and you'll be able to see and interact with your application like never before.
- See changes, live! - You can edit and modify views in your running application to see the effect immediately. No more recompiling to test simple visual changes.
- Focus - View hierarchies can get complex. Simply double click a view to isolate it, and all its subviews. Use the path bar to navigate up the hierarchy, and use the history buttons to go back to where you've been.
PonyDebugger is an open source tool with 5.71K GitHub stars and 597 GitHub forks. Here's a link to PonyDebugger's open source repository on GitHub.
What is PonyDebugger?
What is Reveal App?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Reveal App?
What are the cons of using PonyDebugger?
What are the cons of using Reveal App?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with PonyDebugger?
What tools integrate with Reveal App?
Pony Debugger brings [some of] chrome dev tools to iOS. Of the four big features it provides, the two most useful are the element inspector, and the Core Data browser.
If you've used Chrome dev tools, then you already know how useful the element inspector is. PonyDebugger attaches that exact interface to your iOS view hierarchy (plus element highlighting in the simulator!).
- specify the attributes you want to view in the element inspector window
[[PDDebugger defaultInstance] setDisplayedViewAttributeKeyPaths:@[@"frame",@"bounds"]]];
- edit them in the inspector and view the change in the simulator
- most of the other stuff you can already do on web
The view hierarchy inspection is fantastic, but the Core Data browser is probably PD's killer feature. Rather than logging a bunch of fetch requests (or whatever you used to do to make sure your cd object graph was in the state you expected it to be), you pass the PonyDebugger instance your managed object context[s] and then use the dev console to inspect every managed object the context[s] own. It's absurdly useful.