rkt vs Vagrant Cloud: What are the differences?
What is rkt? App Container runtime. Rocket is a cli for running App Containers. The goal of rocket is to be composable, secure, and fast.
What is Vagrant Cloud? Share, discover, and create Vagrant environments. Vagrant Cloud pairs with Vagrant to enable access, insight and collaboration across teams, as well as to bring exposure to community contributions and development environments.
rkt and Vagrant Cloud belong to "Virtual Machine Platforms & Containers" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by rkt are:
- Composable. All tools for downloading, installing, and running containers should be well integrated, but independent and composable.
- Security. Isolation should be pluggable, and the crypto primitives for strong trust, image auditing and application identity should exist from day one.
- Image distribution. Discovery of container images should be simple and facilitate a federated namespace, and distributed retrieval. This opens the possibility of alternative protocols, such as BitTorrent, and deployments to private environments without the requirement of a registry.
On the other hand, Vagrant Cloud provides the following key features:
- Vagrant Share: A single command to share your local Vagrant environment to anyone in the world
- Box Distribution: Vagrant integration provides flexible versioning and support for private or community boxes
- Discover Boxes: Start new projects faster using the right box. Find trusted and top-used community boxes
rkt is an open source tool with 8.68K GitHub stars and 829 GitHub forks. Here's a link to rkt's open source repository on GitHub.