Flyway vs Galera Cluster: What are the differences?
Flyway: Database Migrations Made Easy. Flyway lets you regain control of your database migrations with pleasure and plain sql. Solves only one problem and solves it well. Flyway migrates your database, so you don't have to worry about it anymore; Galera Cluster: A Multi-Master Cluster based on synchronous replication for MySQL. It’s an easy-to-use, high-availability solution, which provides high system up-time, no data loss and scalability for future growth. You can Keep it up and running 24/7. Putting our expertise to use will help you avoid trial and error.
Flyway belongs to "Database Tools" category of the tech stack, while Galera Cluster can be primarily classified under "Databases".
Some of the features offered by Flyway are:
- Supported databases: Oracle, SQL Server, SQL Azure, DB2, DB2 z/OS, MySQL, MariaDB, Google Cloud SQL, PostgreSQL, Redshift, Vertica, H2, Hsql, Derby, SQLite
- Supported build tools: Maven, Gradle, Ant and SBT
- Works on: Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, Java and Android
On the other hand, Galera Cluster provides the following key features:
- True Multi-master Read and write to any node at any time
- Synchronous Replication No slave lag, no data is lost at node crash
- Tightly Coupled All nodes hold the same state
Flyway and Galera Cluster are both open source tools. It seems that Flyway with 4.3K GitHub stars and 932 forks on GitHub has more adoption than Galera Cluster with 279 GitHub stars and 118 GitHub forks.
According to the StackShare community, Flyway has a broader approval, being mentioned in 24 company stacks & 76 developers stacks; compared to Galera Cluster, which is listed in 14 company stacks and 5 developer stacks.