Baker Street vs Consul: What are the differences?
What is Baker Street? A simple client-side load balancer for microservices. Baker Street is an HAProxy-based client side load balancer that simplifies scaling, testing, and upgrading microservices.
What is Consul? A tool for service discovery, monitoring and configuration. Consul is a tool for service discovery and configuration. Consul is distributed, highly available, and extremely scalable.
Baker Street and Consul belong to "Open Source Service Discovery" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Baker Street are:
- automatically splitting traffic among all healthy services sharing the same name in the system
- making load balancing more efficient and robust by using local load balancers
- removing problematic instances from the rotation more quickly by using local health checkers
On the other hand, Consul provides the following key features:
- Service Discovery - Consul makes it simple for services to register themselves and to discover other services via a DNS or HTTP interface. External services such as SaaS providers can be registered as well.
- Health Checking - Health Checking enables Consul to quickly alert operators about any issues in a cluster. The integration with service discovery prevents routing traffic to unhealthy hosts and enables service level circuit breakers.
- Key/Value Storage - A flexible key/value store enables storing dynamic configuration, feature flagging, coordination, leader election and more. The simple HTTP API makes it easy to use anywhere.
Baker Street and Consul are both open source tools. Consul with 16.4K GitHub stars and 2.85K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Baker Street with 222 GitHub stars and 16 GitHub forks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
What is Baker Street?
What is Consul?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
What companies use Baker Street?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with Baker Street?
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions