Flyway vs PostGIS: What are the differences?
Flyway: Database Migrations Made Easy. Easy to setup, simple to master. Flyway lets you regain control of your database migrations with pleasure and plain sql. Solves only one problem and solves it well. Flyway migrates your database, so you don't have to worry about it anymore; PostGIS: Open source spatial database. PostGIS is a spatial database extender for PostgreSQL object-relational database. It adds support for geographic objects allowing location queries to be run in SQL.
Flyway and PostGIS belong to "Database Tools" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Flyway are:
- Supported databases: Oracle, SQL Server, SQL Azure, DB2, DB2 z/OS, MySQL, MariaDB, Google Cloud SQL, PostgreSQL, Redshift, Vertica, H2, Hsql, Derby, SQLite
- Supported build tools: Maven, Gradle, Ant and SBT
- Works on: Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, Java and Android
On the other hand, PostGIS provides the following key features:
- Processing and analytic functions for both vector and raster data for splicing, dicing, morphing, reclassifying, and collecting/unioning with the power of SQL
- raster map algebra for fine-grained raster processing
- Spatial reprojection SQL callable functions for both vector and raster data
"Superb tool, easy to configure and use" is the primary reason why developers consider Flyway over the competitors, whereas "De facto GIS in SQL" was stated as the key factor in picking PostGIS.
Flyway and PostGIS are both open source tools. It seems that Flyway with 4.2K GitHub stars and 915 forks on GitHub has more adoption than PostGIS with 645 GitHub stars and 246 GitHub forks.
HotelTonight, Key Location, and DNT are some of the popular companies that use PostGIS, whereas Flyway is used by JustWatch, Red Panda Platform, and Picnic Technologies. PostGIS has a broader approval, being mentioned in 53 company stacks & 14 developers stacks; compared to Flyway, which is listed in 15 company stacks and 19 developer stacks.
What is Flyway?
What is PostGIS?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
What are the cons of using PostGIS?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
it works with complex SQL script and it is very high customizable.
PostGIS makes it easy (and fast) to do geographic queries, such as nearest-neighbor and bounding box queries.
Backend for weather forecast data that Geoserver queries to build updated weather maps