Hugo vs Metalsmith: What are the differences?
Developers describe Hugo as "A Fast and Flexible Static Site Generator built with love by spf13 in GoLang". Hugo is a static site generator written in Go. It is optimized for speed, easy use and configurability. Hugo takes a directory with content and templates and renders them into a full html website. Hugo makes use of markdown files with front matter for meta data. On the other hand, Metalsmith is detailed as "An extremely simple, pluggable static site generator". In Metalsmith, all of the logic is handled by plugins. You simply chain them together. Since everything is a plugin, the core library is actually just an abstraction for manipulating a directory of files.
Hugo and Metalsmith can be categorized as "Static Site Generators" tools.
Some of the features offered by Hugo are:
- Run Anywhere - Hugo is quite possibly the easiest to install software you've ever used, simply download and run. Hugo doesn't depend on administrative privileges, databases, runtimes, interpreters or external libraries. Sites built with Hugo can be deployed on S3, Github Pages, Dropbox or any web host.
- Fast & Powerful - Hugo is written for speed and performance. Great care has been taken to ensure that Hugo build time is as short as possible. We're talking milliseconds to build your entire site for most setups.
- Flexible - Hugo is designed to work how you do. Organize your content however you want with any URL structure. Declare your own content types. Define your own meta data in YAML, TOML or JSON.
On the other hand, Metalsmith provides the following key features:
- Read template files from a directory
- Parse files for template placeholders
- Prompt user to fill in each placeholder
"Lightning fast" is the primary reason why developers consider Hugo over the competitors, whereas "Plugability" was stated as the key factor in picking Metalsmith.
Hugo and Metalsmith are both open source tools. It seems that Hugo with 36.4K GitHub stars and 4.09K forks on GitHub has more adoption than Metalsmith with 7.27K GitHub stars and 640 GitHub forks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Hugo?
What is Metalsmith?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions