What is Redwood?
It is an opinionated, full-stack, serverless web application framework that will allow you to build and deploy JAMstack applications with ease. Imagine a React frontend, statically delivered by CDN, that talks via GraphQL to your backend running on AWS Lambdas around the world, all deployable with just a git push—that's Redwood.
Redwood is a tool in the Frameworks (Full Stack) category of a tech stack.
Redwood is an open source tool with 4.3K GitHub stars and 182 GitHub forks. Here’s a link to Redwood's open source repository on GitHub
Who uses Redwood?
- Opinionated defaults for formatting, file organization, webpack, Babel, and more
- Simple but powerful routing (all routes defined in one file) with dynamic (typed) parameters, constraints, and named route functions (to generate correct URLs)
- Automatic page-based code-splitting
- Boilerplate-less GraphQL API construction
- Cells: a declarative way to fetch data from the backend API
- Generators for pages, layouts, cells, SDL, services, etc
- Scaffold generator for CRUD operations around a specific DB table
- Forms with easy client- and/or server-side validation and error handling
- Hot module replacement (HMR) for faster development
- Database migrations (via Prisma 2)
- First class JAMstack-style deployment to Netlify
Redwood Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to Redwood?
See all alternatives
Node.js uses an event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and efficient, perfect for data-intensive real-time applications that run across distributed devices.
Django is a high-level Python Web framework that encourages rapid development and clean, pragmatic design.
.NET is a developer platform made up of tools, programming languages, and libraries for building many different types of applications.
It is a web application framework with expressive, elegant syntax. It attempts to take the pain out of development by easing common tasks used in the majority of web projects, such as authentication, routing, sessions, and caching.
Android provides a rich application framework that allows you to build innovative apps and games for mobile devices in a Java language environment.