What is Shinken?
Shinken's main goal is to give users a flexible architecture for their monitoring system that is designed to scale to large environments. Shinken is backwards-compatible with the Nagios configuration standard and plugins. It works on any operating system and architecture that supports Python, which includes Windows, GNU/Linux and FreeBSD.
Shinken is a tool in the Monitoring Tools category of a tech stack.
Shinken is an open source tool with GitHub stars and GitHub forks. Here’s a link to Shinken's open source repository on GitHub
Who uses Shinken?
5 companies reportedly use Shinken in their tech stacks, including Flock, Koolicar, and Platform.
11 developers on StackShare have stated that they use Shinken.
- Easy to install : install is mainly done with pip but some packages are available (deb / rpm) and we are planning to provide nightly build
- Easy for new users : once installed, Shinken provide a simple command line interface to install new module and packs
- Easy to migrate from Nagios : we want Nagios configuration and plugins to work in Shinken so that it is a “in place” replacement
- Plugins provide great flexibility and are a big legacy codebase to use. It would be a shame not to use all this community workMulti-platform : python is available in a lot of OS. We try to write generic code to keep this possible
- Utf8 compliant : python is here to do that. For now Shinken is compatible with 2.6-2.7 version but python 3.X is even more character encoding friendly
- Independent from other monitoring solution : our goal is to provide a modular tool that can integrate with others through standard interfaces). Flexibility first
- Flexible : in an architecture point view. It is very close to our scalability wish. Cloud computing is make architecture moving a lot, we have to fit to it
- Fun to code : python ensure good code readability. Adding code should not be a pain when developing
Shinken Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to Shinken?
See all alternatives
Zabbix is a mature and effortless enterprise-class open source monitoring solution for network monitoring and application monitoring of millions of metrics.
It monitors availability and performance, gives you simple access to relevant data and raises alerts to keep you in the loop. It was originally created as a fork of the Nagios system monitoring application.
Nagios is a host/service/network monitoring program written in C and released under the GNU General Public License.
Prometheus is a systems and service monitoring system. It collects metrics from configured targets at given intervals, evaluates rule expressions, displays the results, and can trigger alerts if some condition is observed to be true.
It is a network, system, applicative supervision and monitoring tool. It is one of the most flexible and powerful monitoring softwares on the market; it is absolutely free and Open Souce.