Amazon RDS for Aurora vs ClearDB: What are the differences?
Amazon RDS for Aurora: MySQL and PostgreSQL compatible relational database with several times better performance. Amazon Aurora is a MySQL-compatible, relational database engine that combines the speed and availability of high-end commercial databases with the simplicity and cost-effectiveness of open source databases. Amazon Aurora provides up to five times better performance than MySQL at a price point one tenth that of a commercial database while delivering similar performance and availability; ClearDB: Fault tolerant database-as-a-service in the cloud for your MySQL powered applications. ClearDB uses a combination of advanced replication techniques, advanced cluster technology, and layered web services to provide you with a MySQL database that is "smarter" than usual.
Amazon RDS for Aurora and ClearDB belong to "SQL Database as a Service" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Amazon RDS for Aurora are:
- High Throughput with Low Jitter
- Push-button Compute Scaling
- Storage Auto-scaling
On the other hand, ClearDB provides the following key features:
- Global Multi-Master Design- ClearDB uses geo-distributed MySQL database configurations for the ultimate in database availability, survivability, and performance. Even if whole cloud regions go offline, your database will stay online.
- Completely Fault Tolerant- ClearDB is the only cloud database in the market today that offers true multi-regional read/write mirroring with 100% uptime, even if networks or disks fail.
- Native MySQL- Our clusters use native MySQL so that you don't have to worry about re-tuning your applications to work with ClearDB.
"MySQL compatibility " is the primary reason why developers consider Amazon RDS for Aurora over the competitors, whereas "Cloud SQL" was stated as the key factor in picking ClearDB.
Medium, StackShare, and Zumba are some of the popular companies that use Amazon RDS for Aurora, whereas ClearDB is used by Salesforce, Movielala, and Skype. Amazon RDS for Aurora has a broader approval, being mentioned in 121 company stacks & 31 developers stacks; compared to ClearDB, which is listed in 5 company stacks and 3 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Amazon Aurora?
What is ClearDB?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions