Amazon EBS vs DigitalOcean Spaces: What are the differences?
Amazon EBS: Block level storage volumes for use with Amazon EC2 instances. Amazon EBS volumes are network-attached, and persist independently from the life of an instance. Amazon EBS provides highly available, highly reliable, predictable storage volumes that can be attached to a running Amazon EC2 instance and exposed as a device within the instance. Amazon EBS is particularly suited for applications that require a database, file system, or access to raw block level storage; DigitalOcean Spaces: Scalable Object Storage on DigitalOcean. DigitalOcean Spaces are designed to make it easy and cost effective to store and serve massive amounts of data. Spaces are ideal for storing static, unstructured data like audio, video, and images as well as large amounts of text.
Amazon EBS and DigitalOcean Spaces belong to "Cloud Storage" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Amazon EBS are:
- Amazon EBS allows you to create storage volumes from 1 GB to 1 TB that can be mounted as devices by Amazon EC2 instances. Multiple volumes can be mounted to the same instance.
- Amazon EBS enables you to provision a specific level of I/O performance if desired, by choosing a Provisioned IOPS volume. This allows you to predictably scale to thousands of IOPS per Amazon EC2 instance.
- Storage volumes behave like raw, unformatted block devices, with user supplied device names and a block device interface. You can create a file system on top of Amazon EBS volumes, or use them in any other way you would use a block device (like a hard drive).
On the other hand, DigitalOcean Spaces provides the following key features:
- Create Spaces in an instant
- Scalable storage
- Available as a standalone service
According to the StackShare community, Amazon EBS has a broader approval, being mentioned in 179 company stacks & 47 developers stacks; compared to DigitalOcean Spaces, which is listed in 7 company stacks and 3 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
What is Amazon EBS?
What is DigitalOcean Spaces?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions