Apache Kylin vs Mara: What are the differences?
What is Apache Kylin? OLAP Engine for Big Data. Apache Kylin™ is an open source Distributed Analytics Engine designed to provide SQL interface and multi-dimensional analysis (OLAP) on Hadoop/Spark supporting extremely large datasets, originally contributed from eBay Inc.
What is Mara? A lightweight ETL framework. A lightweight ETL framework with a focus on transparency and complexity reduction.
Apache Kylin and Mara can be categorized as "Big Data" tools.
Some of the features offered by Apache Kylin are:
- Extremely Fast OLAP Engine at Scale
- ANSI SQL Interface on Hadoop
- Interactive Query Capability
On the other hand, Mara provides the following key features:
- Data integration pipelines as code: pipelines, tasks and commands are created using declarative Python code.
- PostgreSQL as a data processing engine.
- Extensive web ui. The web browser as the main tool for inspecting, running and debugging pipelines.
Apache Kylin and Mara are both open source tools. Apache Kylin with 2.21K GitHub stars and 983 forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Mara with 1.22K GitHub stars and 49 GitHub forks.